Thursday, June 16, 2011

Perfect Love



A big huzzah to our very own Heather Davis, whose amazingly romantic YA novel, The Clearing, is a contender for the prestigious and coveted 2011 RITA award. As you might have already heard, Heather is giving away a fabulous prize package and all you have to do is comment on this or any (or all) of our posts this week to be entered to win. To read more about the prize, click HERE.

When Heather suggested we write about an elder who has in some way influenced or inspired us, I admit I had a hard time coming up with just one. I finally decided on my maternal grandmother, Mama Billie. The reason is two fold.

One, she helps me put things in perspective. For example, one day I was really upset because my brand-new dishwasher wasn't working. (I don't know about you, but doesn't it seem odd that the dishwasher and washing machine your grandma bought twenty years ago still work just fine and these new ones last fewer than three years!?!) I was seriously about to cry, and all it took was her saying in this angelic voice, "Isn't it wonderful that we live in a time where we have dishwashers?" She didn't launch into a "when I was a girl we had to walk 20 miles to school in a blizzard, uphill both ways" monologue. No, it was just a simple sentence that brought me out of my tirade and into peaceful, even thankful, waters.

The other thing I find so inspiring about Mama Billie is she loves people unconditionally. Now, to put this in perspective, a) She's a Southern lady, who as you might know, usually have very strong opinions about ... well, everything (haha!) and b) My family is WEIRD. Sorry, there's no other way of saying it. As a whole, we are about as imperfect as they come. I'm talking the stuff of Reality TV. And yet she loves each and every one of us as if we are perfect. So when I'm frustrated with people, I remember Mama Billie and it helps me forgive them their imperfections and love them.

Now it's YOUR turn! Who in your life has a knack for getting you off the ledge and putting things into perspective? Comment because I know you want to win Heather's fabulous prize package, the winner of which will be announced on Sunday.

7 comments:

TinaFerraro said...

I loved hearing about your grandmother!

I think for me it's my husband who helps me put things in perspective. He is so smart and calm. While I am flapping and squawking like a bird, he zeroes in on the heart of the matter and soon enough, I'm back on the ground and ready to fix whatever is bothering me!

Cara King said...

I've got a friend with a lot of common-sense, and I think she does this for me. I can be stressing over something for an extended time, but she can really jump to the core of the problem and defuse it, sometimes, even just by saying something like "what can you do? People are crazy" or something...

1110cg said...

I liked the blog a lot today!

Steph said...

Although I already talked about my mother in one of the comments earlier this week, I know my answer to this is also my mother. I tend to get a little OCD about a lot of things and I freak out over the little things, but she keeps my head on straight for sure. She can be the same way sometimes, so I do the same for her. I guess we put things in perspective for each other often. :)

Heather Davis said...

What a great profile, Wendy! I love that Grandma Billie so easily helps put things in perspective.

Wendy Toliver said...

Isn't it cool that we all (at least those of us who've commented today) have someone near and dear to us who can help us when we're not being ourselves? Great stories, thanks for sharing!

Mysteriousrose said...

Great post! For mé the answer would be my mom. I have learned so much from her and I wouldn't be where I am today without my parents guidence.

forceofstars@yahoo.dk