Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Call Me Mrs. Lonely

Most days, I have a love/hate relationship with technology. When it's working I love it! I love surfing the web, designing websites, and organizing my oh-so-crazy life to the minute. When it's not... well, that's another story.

But when my laptop started crashing last week, I wasn't angry. I was heartbroken. It seems silly, from one perspective, to be so attached to a piece of technology. From another perspective, that little guy has been my life and my lifeline for over two years. Which is a lot longer than my previous three laptops.

First, there was the adorable IBM 701c butterfly that I got my sophomore year of college. [see the cute photo on the right of it's sliding keyboard] This was so cute (and light, at the time) and it lasted me through the end of my sophomore year. Back then, computer technology was developing so fast you couldn't even try to keep up with it. So, when my junior year began I got the first of two Gateways... they were less-than-impressive. Suffice it to say that I really ordered them because they had a cow patterned box. For a while I went back to a desktop, but since I like to write in Starbucks, that made working on my novel a little difficult.

So, in January 2005, I finally ponied up and got the first computer that I bought and paid for all on my own. [there it is, on the left] I had done my research, narrowed down the choices, and had even decided that I could wait a while... until I went to Office Depot and my number one choice was ON SALE. My Sony VGN S260P (which weighs in at just under 4 pounds) was still on the pricey side of notebook computers, but it's the best money I've every spent. I do everything on the computer (from writing the book that I finally sold to posting my BuzzBlogs to making my reservations for the RWA national conference). Barring one blip (a motherboard issue that Sony extended the warranty for and had it fixed and back to me in under a week) this latest is the only problem I've had with this computer. Little or no crashing. Totally reliable. And light enough to carry in my purse (in a tote, at the very least).

So, while I'm going through computer withdrawal, I know that when my baby comes back to me he'll be better than ever. That our relationship is built to last. And that, when the time comes that he should pass, I'll be looking for another Sony to take his place.

Hugs,
TLC
[who was in no way compensated by Sony, but will consider all offers]
Growing Up Godly, Summer 2008
Dutton Children's Books

what I'm reading ... One For The Money by Janet Evanovich
(I know, I'm decades behind the times)

4 comments:

stephhale said...

TLC,
You have my deepest sympathy. I hope your beloved in back on your lap soon. I know exactly how you feel though. When we had the ice storm back in December and went without power for six days, I thought I would go crazy not knowing what was happening in the cyber world. I wonder if we need a 12 step program?
xo,
Steph

TinaFerraro said...

Oh, yes, TLC, my most intense relationship remains with my computer. In fact, the bio on my next book reads something like "Tina lives in front of a computer in Los Angeles".

And ONE FOR THE MONEY is fabulous! Some years ago (I started late with JE, too), I brought that book with me to Europe, and then had to wait my entire vacation 'til I got back to the US to pick up #2. I sure learned a lesson on that one.

Heather Davis said...

Oh... Tera, I feel for you. I finally had to retire my original laptop "Frankenstein" in favor of a faster desktop -- but we'd written seven books together... it was hard to say goodbye.

Best wishes for your baby's recovery.

Hugs,

Heather

alexgirl said...

My last computer was so screwed that we ended up using it as a prop in one of our movies and had the main character spill an entire cup of hot coffee on the keyboard. Yes, it was THAT far gone.
I hope everything works out for you and your Sony Sweetheart.
-Alex
http://alexrichards.org