Monday, November 12, 2007

What I'm Thankful For!


The Buzz Girls are embarking on theme called “What I’m Thankful For,” and this week will focus on books and writing...

And I have to say, What I’m Thankful For is my second grade teacher. Who recognized in me an unusual talent for storytelling, who called my mother in to share the news, and then announced to the class that for the rest of the semester, I’d be sitting out the reading circle to focus on writing.

And while I remember being baffled that story writing was something a teacher would take notice of--I mean, it was fun, like recess, right?--I also remember a sense of pride, and feeling special in the classroom, something I’d not feel again for a very long time.

So I’m Thankful for an Intuitive Teacher who help light my way! Does anyone have a supportive teacher story to share from their background?

What I’m Reading: My Sister’s Keeper, Jodi Picoult

Tina

Tina Ferraro
Top Ten Uses for an Unworn Prom Dress
How to Hook a Hottie, January, 2008
The ABC’s of Kissing Boys, Spring, 2009
www.tinaferraro.com

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Tina,
Yes, I had a very influential teacher. It was actually his first year of teaching and he was my homerun teacher in Junior High and went on to teach at my highschool. He always encouraged my writing. But I was bent on doing exactly the opposite of whatever a teacher suggested.
Janie

stephhale said...

I loved most of my teachers but my fifth grade teacher stands out the most. I got straight A's for two quarters in a row and I'll never forget how special he made me feel!

Marley Gibson said...

I had so many wonderful teachers throughout my years. My favorite two were my first grade teacher, Mrs. Ledbetter, and my senior teacher, Mrs. Hixon. Both were (are still) incredible ladies who always encouraged me and supported me. I even have a picture of me and Mrs. Ledbetter on my bio page on my website. She used to share her carrot sticks with me. LOL!! Mrs. Hixon was my English teacher and very supportive of my writing. Guess I need to let her know I'm getting published, eh?

Me said...

Aw, great story Tina. I have two very important teachers in my life.

1. Mr. Wollitz (4th grade) who created just the best all-around learning environment full of fun stuff like creating a movie of Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves (which my parents still have) and holding a nighttime observation of Haley's Comet using his telescope. At the time I sooo wanted to be an astronaut, and we were in his class when the Challenger exploded.

2. Paul Bentel (grad school) who was on my thesis committee. During my thesis defense, he told me I was a very effective writer. Now this was an Historic Preservation thesis and he was cushioning the blow of telling me that the history section was too long. But still. That was the exact moment when I started thinking that maybe I could actually make a career as an author. Thanks Paul!

TinaFerraro said...

Thank you for all these stories!

And I have to say I wish I could remember my 2nd grade teacher's name. I feel so remiss. But we moved shortly after that, so the name is forever in the wind...

Anonymous said...

hmm. I don't think I've ever really had a teacher like that.


I've read My Sister's Keeper....it is soo good. One of my favourites.