Monday, January 19, 2009

The December-May Romance!

I got such an interesting compliment on The ABC’s of Kissing Boys last week. A reader told me that it was the only teen novel she could think of that addressed an older girl/younger boy scenario. Funny, because I’d been promoting the book as a soccer story that dealt with friendship and family issues, while giving lots of pointers on kissing. I’d entirely overlooked the idea that I’d given a glimpse into a “fresh” topic!

So, older girl/younger boy. General wisdom is that teen girls mature faster, and therefore look at older guys. But there are no hard and fast rules, and besides, by late high school, that playing field evens out. And what’s a year or two in either direction when we’re talking true love?

Here are some adult celebrity couples who have defied the age coda...

Barbara Hersey & Naveen Andrews, 21 years difference:



Madonna & Alex Rodriguez, 17 years difference:


Demi Moore & Ashton Kutcher, 16 years difference:


Mariah Carey & Nick Cannon, 12 years difference:


Halle Berry & Gabriel Aubry, 10 years difference:


Can you think of any more? And what’s your take on the December-May relationship?

Tina

Tina Ferraro
The ABC’s of Kissing Boys
How to Hook a Hottie
Top Ten Uses for an Unworn Prom Dress
www.tinaferraro.com

7 comments:

stephhale said...

I actually had an idea brewing a while back about an older girl/younger guy relationship. I had to put it on the back burner but it's nice to know there is interest in the topic.

Shalonda said...

I am actually engaged to a younger guy (2 years difference). When you love someone, you really don't see age.

Amanda Ashby said...

Oooh - wow, it has soccer AND an older girl/younger guy storyline, now I'm even more excited about this book! I ordered my copy yesterday so I hope it doesn't take too long to arrive. Fly pigeons, fly!

sweetmelissa818 said...

The Violet books by Melissa Walker have a small story between Violet's younger brother and her best friend. I like the brave people who will put this up to view!

Thao said...

I really like the older girl/younger guy idea, it never gets boring to me. And sometimes even the girl is older, she's just a child at heart

TinaFerraro said...

Thanks! I found what I liked most was that the older girl had to strip away her "cool" in order to be with a younger guy, and it made me feel like I was getting to know the real her. Plus, the scenario gave me plenty of fodder for teasing her. ;)

Anonymous said...

Ummm, how about me and my hubby? 7 yr difference. I'm the older one. LOL.