- Because I love Chick Lit and especially Chick Lit turned into movies!
- Because, even though Rachel Leigh Cook was a horrendous narrator for the book-on-tape, the book is just awesome.
- Because Meryl Streep was the perfect power b!atch in the role.
- Because I love, love, love Adrian Grenier (even though I thought his character was a little whiny).
- And, most especially, because I love Anne Hathaway.
She doesn't wind up on the cover of People/US Weekly/In Touch for either wild partying, making a public scene with an on-again-off-again boyfriend, or looking like an eating disorder poster girl. Though she got her start early, landing The Princess Diaries when she was still a teenager, she seems to really have her head on straight. She confronts her problems head-on. People magazine reported this week that Anne had battled depression as a teen. Rather than resorting to medication, she worked through the tough times and now has this to say about it:
"I said to Mom the other day, 'Do you remember that girl? She has now gone, gone to sleep. She has said her piece and she is gone,' But then I thought, 'I so remember her, only she is no longer part of me.' "How classy is that? I think that what I love about Anne the most is that she is Every Girl. She has the same kind of universal relatability that made Mia Thermopolis and The Princess Diaries a blockbuster hit. And she has the charm and grace to make her next role (as Jane Austen in Becoming Jane) a success.
So, even though she is not nominated for any awards at the upcoming Oscars, I'm going to be cheering on her movie. (But maybe not in the Best Costume category... I mean, what were they thinking when they made that purse?)