Sunday, December 30, 2007

Holiday Travel Buzz

The winter holidays are a time of travel for many people, and my family is no exception. I've been trying to institute the Childs Family Christmas Trip for years and years and years. For months before the actual holiday ever year, I start saying, "Where are we gonna go for Christmas?" And I usually got, "I dunno. We'll think of something," in return. In the end we would end up visiting family here, there, or everywhere, but never taking an actual holiday vacation trip.

This year, I started earlier, planned the holidays themselves ruthlessly, and pocketed a contingency plan. The result? The day after Christmas, my parents--who are visiting me in Houston for the holidays--and I drove to San Antonio. It was a short trip, but it was a start. I am already making plans for next year. In the meantime, I'll share some picture highlights from our first day, spent visiting San Antonio's famous (and not-so-famous) missions. Enjoy, and tune in next year to see where the 2nd annual Childs Family Christmas Trip takes us.

THE ALAMO
Inarguably the most famous of the missions. This site, so significant (and controversial) to the history of Texas, is now run by the Daughters of the Republic of Texas and the admission is free. The grounds are lovely and, although the surrounding area is squarely touristy, there are some nice historical buildings around, as well. My favorite spot? The long barracks. Learn more at thealamo.org.



SAN ANTONIO MISSIONS NATIONAL HISTORIC PARK
The remaining four missions are all managed by the National Park Service and are all still active Catholic parish churches. When we visited, they were all decorated for Christmas with garlands, poinsettias, and nativities. Imagine, four churches built in the 1700s and still in operation today. Learn more at nps.gov/saan.

Mission Espada



Mission San Juan Capistrano



Mission San José y San Miguel de Aguayo



Mission Concepción



Did anyone else travel somewhere noteworthy this holiday season? Do share. Bonus points for directing us to pictures.

Hugs and Happy New Year!
TLC
OH. MY. GODS. -- Dutton, May 2008
Pre-order from Amazon now (and save 32%!)
teralynnchilds.com

3 comments:

TinaFerraro said...

Man, TLC, not only did you have a productive trip, but these pictures are beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

As always, my family and I did Christmas at home, but we did go to Anaheim to Downtown Disney one day last week for some hanging out and a lovely meal at Brennan's (my favorite New Orleans restaurant). No pictures, though, sorry!

stephhale said...

Great pics, TLC. I love your new tradition! The Alamo is a place my husband and I have always wanted to visit. Maybe someday...

As for our holiday, we stayed home and visited with relatives. No pics because it is WAY too boring here but it was a really good time!

Kimberly Frost said...

Great pictures!