Friday, December 07, 2007

Do you believe in ghosts?

Ever since I sold my new series, GHOST HUNTRESS, I've had a lot of e-mails from people asking me about whether or not I actually believe in ghosts. This isn't an easily answered question -- meaning, there's no black and white answer.

I got the idea for the GHOST HUNTRESS series when I was at the New England RWA conference back in March. My agent had told me she had a great book title for me..."Divining Women." She had no idea what it was about or anything, but said she had to tell me the title. Oh-kaaaaaay. I had no idea, either. Until...I stepped into a workshop called Ghost Hunting 101 with The New England Ghost Project.



For two hours, I was riveted by group leader, Ron Kolek, and psychic investigator, Maureen Wood (shown above mucking it up on an investigation.) As I was sitting there listening to their adventures and learning about their equipment and methods, the entire idea for the GHOST HUNTRESS series fleshed out in my head like a movie from opening theme song to closing credits. (I love when that happens!)

After the conference, I began researching like a mad woman. I talked to Ron and Maureen and even went on several ghost hunts with them. I saw some very interesting things, heard voices that weren't there, experienced drastic drops and increases in temperatures, witness people channeling spirts and took some very interesting pictures of orbs and light anamolies.

I began avidly watching Ghost Hunters and Most Haunted and Lisa Williams and surfing Ghost Village all the time and any other ghost hunting/paranormal show I could get my eyes on.

Do I believe in ghosts, though?



Hmmm...

Let me just say that I think it would completely ignorant of us to think we're all alone in this vast world. There's more to this earth than heaven and hell, Shakespeare wrote, and I believe him. I had definitely experienced energies and sensations through my research and ghost hunting that has made me believe that spirits and angels are with us. I think that's the great thing about it, though...it's up to your own free interpretation. And, in this field, you need skeptics to challenge the data and keep you honest.



So, do I believe in them...yeah...I think there are spirits and angels with us, checking in, whispering in our ears and sharing their knowledge with us. Do I believe Grandma and Grandpa aren't at rest and are following me around constantly? Not really. I'd like to believe that when we pass, there's a peace that comes with being in another realm...but it would be nice to know we can check in with our loved ones every now and then.

Do you believe in ghosts? Do you have any stories you'd like to share? I'd love to hear them!

And speaking of ghosts, I just read a fabulous YA book by a fellow Houghton Mifflin author, Laura Whitcomb, called A CERTAIN SLANT OF LIGHT.

Hugs,
Marley = )

SORORITY 101: ZETA OR OMEGA? (May 2008, Puffin Books)
SORORITY 101: THE NEW SISTERS (May 2008, Puffin Books)
GHOST HUNTRESS (May 2009, Houghton Mufflin)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i do!

TinaFerraro said...

I'm with you, Marley, that there is energy in our world that can't be explained...and my mind is very open to explanations and possibilities.

A wonderful blog here, and you know I wish you the very best with this exciting new series!