Monday, April 07, 2008

A Day in the Life!

We’re kicking off a new theme, “A Day in the Life,” with this week's focus on books and writing. Since I had a wonderful booksigning at my local middle school last week, that’s the day I am going to highlight.

My kids are no longer middle school age, but I was flattered to be asked back by the librarian to sign for their Open House Book Fair. I prepared for it in my usual way: a nail appointment (hey, people are going to be looking at my hands), a hair appointment (‘cause I simply don’t Do the ‘Do like professionals), and then, pacing.

I did laundry. I made soup. I made those phone calls that you put off--dentist appointments, Jury Duty rescheduling--and then called some people that I DID want to talk to, so they could reassure me that I shouldn’t be nervous.

6:00 came and my 15 year-old son and I hopped in the car. He’d agreed to accompany me for what I considered moral support and what he considered a chance to see some teachers and younger friends again.

He walked me up to the library and took some pictures, then I gave him permission to flee...


Over the next few hours, I met up with countless old friends and their kids, and met lots of new people of all ages. And a special shout-out to the 8th grade English teacher who offered her students extra credit for buying How to Hook a Hottie, telling the boys, in particular, that they should read it to learn how girls view romance! Woo-hoo for progressive thinking and local author support!

By the end of the evening, I’d sold a slew of books, and signed the remaining stock. I found my son hanging out with three friends from his grade who’d come to join in the return-to-middle-school fun. We all left tired, and happy.

The next day, I got a phone call from the librarian saying they’d completely sold out of How to Hook a Hottie and had a wait-list. So I brought her the copies I had on hand, with the promise of giving the library a percentage of whatever sold. I have yet to go back and do the math, so in effect, that Day in the Life rolls on...

Anyone else have a notable Day in the Life recently?

What I’m Reading: Can’t tell because I’m judging books for a romance writing contest and need to remain anonymous!

Tina

Tina Ferraro
How to Hook a Hottie - Book Sense Top Teen Pick
Top Ten Uses for an Unworn Prom Dress - Finalist, Gayle Wilson Award of Excellence
www.tinaferraro.com

14 comments:

Me said...

What a fun and successful night, Tina! (And I totally get the nails and hair thing.) Looove the teacher who told boys to get an insight into girls' views of romance. If boys only knew, right?

Me said...

I just took a closer look at the picture. Love that the library conduct rules says, "Chess OK if quiet." Maybe there is some rowdy underground chess movement we don't know about.

TinaFerraro said...

Thanks to your eagle eye, TLC, I just read that, too. Yeah, well, you know those chess players are generally a riotous bunch!

stephhale said...

What a great night, Tina. And I also love the teacher who told the boys they should read it for romance tips! :) Too fun.

Keri Mikulski said...

Sounds like a great time! :) And amazing sales, too! Yay!!

The Golfing Librarian said...

"Over the next few hours, I met up with countless old friends and their kids, and met lots of new people of all ages."

Few hours? Good Lord, woman! How long do your signing usually last?!?! And on a school night too!

Seriously, sounds like a wonderful evening, and if the "chess-ters" their are like the ones in my library, you really do have to calm them down every now and then.
CHECKMATE!

TinaFerraro said...

Thanks Steph and Keri.

And Chuck, signings are usually 2 to 3 hours...at least mine are, and completely emotionally draining...not to mention the little dent in your finger at the end. IF YOU'RE LUCKY.

Kelly (Lynn) Parra said...

I'm so glad it went so well, Tina! And I just can't do the professional 'Do, either! haha.

Wendy Toliver said...

I always wondered if I should get a manicure before something like this. Now I have an excuse, "Tina does, so I can too!" LOL.
Glad you had so much fun. I like visiting schools as much as I like writing.
Oh, and at my last school visit in CO, the students were sad they'd have to wait so long for my next book so I recommended How to Hook a Hottie for them to read in the interim. ;)

Hugs,
Wendy

TinaFerraro said...

Wendy, I'm going to have to nominate for you a Tina Ferraro award...for using me as a nail role model (!) and recommending my book...

Thanks, Kel, and I guess that can't-do-the-do thing is just one more thing we have in common...

Anonymous said...

Notable day was my very first library visit last month. Hah! talk about nervous! I won't go into it here since I already blogged about it: http://celisedowns.com/blog/2008/03/10/weekend-wrap-up-13/

Heather Davis said...

What a great event that was, Tina! I loved the extra credit idea. Sounds like it was really fun.

hugs,

Heather

TinaFerraro said...

Celise, I'll have to check that out.

And Heather, yeah, the EC aspect was a wonderful surprise for us all, I think!

Marley Gibson said...

LOL, I love that, Wendy! "Tina does it." I think that should be a new writer's creed. = )