Friday, April 04, 2008

Have You Bought Your Copy of Twisted Sisters Yet?

I've got mine, and can't wait to crack it open!

In celebration of the release of Stephanie Hale’s book, Twisted Sisters, this week we are discussing our favorite groups from high school.


The bloggers and commeters have regaled us with tales from band, sports, student council, Future Homemakers of America, musical theater, dance, National Honor Society, newspaper, Key Club, chorus...

All of sound like fun and memorable times--but none of which I had. My high school didn’t have Homecoming Dances or food drives or spirit days. We certainly DID have musicals and sports and some after-school clubs, but for one reason or another, none of them appealed to me.

So what did I do in high school? Hung out with my friends. People-watched. Stared at cute guys. Daydreamed. Passed notes. Wrote stories. Created board games. Ate warm, gooey chocolate chip cookies from the cafeteria oven (see Top Ten Uses for an Unworn Prom Dress, page 61, and no coincidence that the caf ladies have the same names as my high school BFFs), and made a half-hearted attempt at getting good grades.


Am I particularly proud of my high school accomplishments? Of course not. But do I rewrite history and pretend to be something I am not? No way. I figure I represent the faction of high school students who don’t find themselves until later in life. And then worked their butts off to make their dreams come true. Because by that point, we are SO DONE sitting on the sidelines...get outta our way!


Anyone else spend their high school years smelling the roses, or look back and wished they'd done more?

Tina

Tina Ferraro
How to Hook a Hottie - Book Sense Top Teen Pick
Top Ten Uses for an Unworn Prom Dress - Finalist, Gayle Wilson Award of Excellence
www.tinaferraro.com

5 comments:

stephhale said...

I LOVE these pictures of you, Tina. It is a personal mission to get you in a prom dress someday! :)

TinaFerraro said...

LOL about the prom dress, Steph. I suspect it wouldn't be a pretty sight. About these pictures, the new one is a promo shot for my local newspaper. Comparing the two, it sort of amazes me how little I've changed (except for obvious aging)...but I can vouch that I'm much happier now! :)

Marley Gibson said...

Tina...you haven't aged a day!! Love it! = )

Me said...

Aw, that's one of the things I love best about you, T. You are always undeniably, unapologetically (not that you need to apologize for anything) yourself.

And I think the new picture looks like you could be wearing your best flannel pjs at your bff's slumber party. Maybe it's the cloud print poof you're resting on, but maybe it's that youthful sparkle in your eyes and that mischievous let's-put-someone's-bra-in-the-freezer smile.

TinaFerraro said...

TLC, bra in the freezer?!? Okay, I have a humorous high school anecdote about my father finding my bra in the glove compartment and thinking the worst (when in fact, I'd chucked in there on the drive home the beach because I was so sunburned). But the freezer is a new one on me.

Thanks for the comments, guys! :)