Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Marley's Launch Week!

It's another Launch Week on the Buzz Girls' Blog -- this time out we're celebrating Marley's Puffin debut writing as Kate Harmon. (See below for a great story on how Marley found writing!)

CONGRATULATIONS, MARLEY!!

The launch of Marley's sorority sisters series got the Bees talking about sororities and campus groups in general, so this week we'll answer the question:

Which HS or college group were you in?

This one is a toughie for me, because I was one of those rare hybrids... I wanted so badly to get a scholarship that I did many different activities to make myself "well-rounded." This put me in all kinds of social circles, including, but not limited to:

Art Peeps (actually got an art scholarship for partial college tuition)
Drama Kids (big part Syme, the dictionary writer, in Orwell's 1984)
Swimming & Diving Team (jr. year -- and I lettered in diving!)
Student Government (sr. class senator)
Knowledge Bowl (token hot girl/Shakespeare expert on team of boy chess club members.)
Honor Society (was VP, which worked to advantage when my chemistry grade nearly put my gpa in jeopardy... the chem teacher was our adviser!)

And I think there were more things, but you'd have to dig out my yearbook... which my sister does when she has dinner parties so everyone can see my awesome HS hair. Anyway, I did a ton of stuff, which meant I knew a lot of different types of people.

When I went away to college, I majored in film, so I spent a lot of time in the Comm building editing documetaries and crying over cruel, tortured artist boys. Also, I worked off campus three years out of four to pay expenses at school. My college didn't have the Greek system or football or anything -- but we did have an Ultimate Frisbee team. :)

Anyway, I can't wait to hear about everyone else and where they fit in to the HS and college picture. Do any of you have a favorite memory from your sorority?

Hugs,


Heather

Heather Davis is the author of
Never Cry Werewolf
Coming in April 2009 from HarperCollins

5 comments:

Marley Gibson said...

Heather...I am soooo impressed that you lettered in diving. That's phenomenal! One of the characters in the SORORITY 101 series is a swimmer. I should have come to you for research. LOL!!

I have to admit I was in a high school sorority/club. It was called Anchor Club and we did a lot around campus, as well as did charity stuff and fundraising. Of course, I was in a sorority in college and was even pinned to a fraternity guy who I later married. = )

TinaFerraro said...

Hey, Heather, I was a Little Sister at a fraternity. Lots of fun parties, and a chance to get to know people outside of my journalism major.

I have been waiting for the postman to bring me my copies of Marley's books...is it May 1 YET?

Lisa Asanuma said...

I had a bit of an odd high school, which definitely seemed to defy a lot of the movie-cliche conventions. The biggest computer geeks also had the best garage band, there were two "in" crowds (though I didn't quite realize that at the time) and getting good grades was a big thing in both of them--one was the college chasers, who were more of the preppy, conventional clique, and another was the group I was in, which was full of the intellectuals, I guess you could say. Brains were definitely never looked down on at my high school, which I didn't really realize until after was a huge blessing.

That said, I was friends with drama geeks, computer geeks and chess club geeks (I was in the Academic League) but I was also friends with punkers and the posh crowd, and mingling through different groups was always allowed.

In college, we had no football, and I was only in an academic sorority, but I was also in a tiny little elite college at a huge university, so that kind of made up for that. I helped run a Lit. mag and did some volunteering, too.

(This is making me think I was cooler than I thought, btw. LOL)

Anonymous said...

i was actually in the chess club for two weeks cuz the guy i liked was on the team. i didn't know how to play chess.

Marilyn Brant said...

HUGE Congrats on the book launch, Marley!

Heather--Hi!!! Loved reading about your H.S. activities! I was in all kinds of geeky things in H.S.: Math Team (God, I hate to admit that!), Forensics (the speaking group, not like CSI :), AFS (I was an exchange student in Australia one summer), Newspaper and Yearbook (of course...) and other weird stuff like French Club. Yeah...I'm still amazed I survived the '80s.