Tuesday, April 08, 2008

A Day in the Life...


A day in the life of this debut author...


6:30 a.m. Harper, my trusty alarm cat, yowls in my ear, signaling that the iphone has gone off three times in the last half hour and I really need to get up. Must get coffee. Make my own espresso with lots of milk foam and cinnamon.

10 am. Working hard at day job, writing lots of marketing copy for our company’s fabulous products. I’m dreaming of werewolves, but the time for writing my own stuff is later. Sometime in the next hour, I take a little break and read the NY Times while I eat snacks.

1:30 pm. Eat my brought-from-home lunch (trying to cut down on all the takeout sushi!) and then read a chapter of writing craft book on the company’s comfy couch. This week it’s The Writer’s Journey by Christopher Vogler. You can learn a lot from reading and rereading texts – but it’s tempting to get bogged down in research. So I limit myself to this little window of time.



5:15 pm. Yay! Done with job number one – so now I sit at my fave local coffee shop and drink an iced (light chocolate) decaf mocha or have a decaf cappuccino (have to sleep later.) I avoid the pastries after last fall’s croissant-kerfluffle which added a few pounds during my next-to-last round of revisions on Werewolf. On purpose, I don’t ask for the café’s wireless password, which could be even more dangerous...

5:25 I power up my laptop, and get back into the chapter I was working on before. Currently it’s the beginning of my werewolf sequel. I follow my outline pretty closely and then sketch in the next session’s scenes before I shut down for the night. Lots of things to do at home when I get there...

And -- Lather, Rinse, Repeat. Except for the days I go to the gym, or do laundry, or have an appointment with a friend this is pretty much my average day. Regular writing time is super important.

The good thing about this schedule is that I save my writing time for dessert. I look forward to it, and I know my brain is working on whatever scenes I have coming up. I also do a double session on Saturday and/or Sunday depending on deadlines.

Anyway... this Saturday I did my first professional photo shoot? Which pic do you like?

Hugs,

Heather

Heather Davis is the author of
Never Cry Werewolf
Coming in APRIL 2009 (365 days!) from HarperCollins





9 comments:

The Golfing Librarian said...

From one Davis to another, I admire your discipline and the third photo. (turtleneck sweater) You can't see your eyes in the first :( and the blue in the middle picture is too bright for my color-blind eyes.

LaShaunda said...

Congrats on your new book.

Marley Gibson said...

I *love* your pictures, Heather! Very chic!!!

TinaFerraro said...

I love all these pictures, but even though your eyes aren't totally visible in the first one, have to say it's my favorite.

And I'm so impressed with your discipline--especially that you keep to a tight outline. My outlines are more like suggestions until my characters speak up. :)

stephhale said...

Thanks for the sneak peek into your life, Heather. I really love all of your new pics but I think the second one is my fav. Although I love the third, too! :)

Heather Davis said...

Thanks, you guys! I have new respect for those girls on ANTM. Doing a photo shoot is really hard, esp when you don't like how you usually look in pictures. ;) My fave is picture # 1.

hugs!!

HD

Simone Elkeles said...

I'm jealous of your pictures...they're amazing!

Anonymous said...

Heather, all of your pictures turned out awesome. It's difficult to pick one favorite, but I'm leaning towards the second one.

Anonymous said...

Hey,
I am the luckiest little sister in the whole world to have a sister like you! Smart, funny, and gorgeous what more is there to say.... Proud of you sis! Follow your dream and sometimes they do come true! Love Sara Emily