Saturday, May 17, 2008

Two heads are better than one!

...or three, if you include me. LOL!!

In our week of tributes to our critique partners (CPs in the writing world), I am blessed to have two awesome ladies who read all of my work and give me their invaluable input. I've known then pretty much since this whole "writing thing" started and I've cried and celebrated along with them when they sold their books.

First up is the fabulous Diana Peterfreund.



Diana and I met in 2002 on the eHarlequin message board, right after it first came out. We joined a critique group together and it was soon apparent that our voices and writing style didn't mesh with the others, so Diana and I politely exited. I've had the priviledge to see Diana's writing develop over the years into the wonderful Secret Society girl series and her upcoming YA book, RAMPANT. Her third book in the Secret Society girl series is coming soon...don't miss it!



Next up is the equally appreciated Wendy Toliver.



Wendy and I met at the Romance Writers of Ameria conference in (what year was it? Ummm...I want to say 2004 in Dallas?) I was immediately drawn to Wendy's sweet smile and friendly demeanor. She's just a total ball of energy and I saw that "must write" sparkle in her eyes. Ironically, I judged some of Wendy's work in a contest before we teamed up. I knew her style and work ethic and it just works to help each other with our writing. I introduced Wendy to her awesome agent and I squealed like a little girl when Wendy's book, THE SECRET LIFE OF A TEENAGE SIREN. Cutest. Book. Evah.



And a discussion on CPs wouldn't be complete without a shout-out to my first CP, and my writing mentor, Jessica Andersen.



Jess befriended me at my very first RWA meeting and from then on, she never gave up on me, taught me so much about style and substance of writing, and helped me navigate the waves of the publishing industry. Jess doesn't write YA, but for our adult readers, her unbelievable FINAL PROPHECY series comes out next month and let me tell you...she is going to hit it big with this. Go pick it up!!!



Have you read their books? If so, be sure to let them know here how awesome their writing is! If you haven't, I encourage you to pick up their books immediately...if not sooner.

Here's to Diana, Wendy, and Jess!

Hugs,
Marley = )

SORORITY 101: Zeta or Omega? - Available Now! Puffin Books
SORORITY 101: The New Sisters - Available Now! Puffin Books
GHOST HUNTRESS Series - Begins May 2009, Houghton Mifflin

6 comments:

Diana Peterfreund said...

Awwww, thanks, Mar! I'm all ferklempt.

stephhale said...

Wow, Marley! You hit the CP jackpot! I know and love both Diana and Wendy's work! I'll have to check Jessica's out! :)

TinaFerraro said...

Yep, what Steph said! :)

Me said...

Talk about your powerhouse critique group! That's a winning team, Marley, for sure. =)

Wendy Toliver said...

Oh my goodness, oh my goodness! How sweet you are, Marley. This totally made my day.

Huge hugs!

Anonymous said...

And the love goes both ways. Marley is my go-to gal when I need someone to read something and make sure it says what I think it says... usually followed by something like, "Um... and can you look at it tonight? It's kind of due tomorrow."

Thanks, chica :)