Here are some of the things I’m currently addicted to, in no particular order.
1. Magazines -- Big (W), small (Food), cheap (Shop, Etc.), pricey (Bride’s), serious (The Economist), or silly (TeenPeople), I read them all. If they’re sitting at the checkout, chance are I’ll buy them. I’ve read everything from Allure to Wallpaper. But my all-time favorites are travel magazines! I could probably travel around the world with all the cash I’ve shelled out on those slick wonderlands.
2. No Whip Caramel Frappuccino -- The no whip part is my attempt to make a deliciously dangerous treat slightly less dangerous, even though I know the drink itself is loaded with sugar and calories. All I have to say is that without this beverage not one of my books would have ever gotten written.
3. T-shirts -- Since summer is coming (and some days the heat is already here) I’ve been stocking up. My faves come from Target and Old Navy, mainly because they’re cheap and I can buy tons. I love the low--but not ultra-low--v-neck that’s out this season and the rainbow of colors to choose from.
4. Flip-Flops -- Again with the summer thing. Right now I have four pairs: a simple black suede-y pair (from Target), a hot pink pair with sparkly beads (also from Target), a black pair with understated black sequins (from Express--three years ago), and a white pair that laces up my ankle (from The Gap--last year). My all-time favorites, though, are the terrycloth ones from Mella.
5. Bookstores -- Barnes & Noble. Borders. Waldenbooks. Larry’s Discount Book Emporium. Okay, I made that last one up, but if it sells books and magazines (see #1) then I’m there with bells--and glasses--on.
6. Sabrina the Teenage Witch -- It’s in reruns on ABC Family and I watch it whenever I get the chance. There’s just something about a talking cat, a pair of batty 400-year old aunts, and a high school (and later college) girl struggling to come to terms with her magical self. And it doesn’t hurt that Josh (David Lascher) from the college years is a total hottie!
7. Sprite Zero -- Meg Cabot has Tab. I have Sprite Zero. This is a long-standing habit that replaced my Diet Coke addiction when I learned that cola can stain your teeth. Zero stains. Zero calories. Tons o’ flavor. What’s not to love?
8. MySpace -- This is an on-again-off-again thing. I’ll be really obsessed with it for a few weeks (like right now) and then I’ll go cold turkey for a while. But the itch to add friends always comes back.
9. Kiwis -- (The fruit, not the national mascot--although New Zealanders can be really hot!) Did you know that kiwi fruit has twice the vitamin C of an orange, more fiber than strawberries, and twice the vitamin E of avocado, as well as potassium, folic acid, and cancer-fighting phytochemicals? I can’t get enough.
10. Sleep -- This is one I really want to cut back on. Sound crazy? Well, not if you consider the article that I read (again, see #1) that says people who sleep 5-7 hours per night live longer than those that sleep 8 or more. How unfair is that? I mean, not only do they get more time each day, but they get more time overall. I’m definitely scaling back on my 8-9 hours a night!
So... any addictions of your own to confess?Hugs,
Growing Up Godly, Summer 2008
Dutton Children's Books
what I'm reading ... Spy Goddess by Mike Spradlin (I know, I know. It's not a RITA book... but I got sucked in.))