Monday, April 16, 2007

My kingdom for the perfect sandwich...

If you know me, you know I'm a total foodie. I love food, love cooking, going grocery shopping, going out to dinner, watching cooking shows (though not on the Food Network anymore because it's nothing but barbeque and cake decorating contests and not serious cooking shows), buying every gadget and utensil for the kitchen (I actually have a mango slicer!) and finding that perfect something that you have to have over and over again.

Like the perfect sandwich.

And I've discovered it.

There's a place here in Boston called Sam LaGrassa's. They're in the heart of the financial district and cater to very busy financial types who want a quick meal on the run. They're also terribly nice and will cater to me and my company with a speedy delivery of their amazing grilled sandwiches.



Mmmm...are you salivating?

The most perfect of all their sandwiches is the half turkey/half ham with Swiss cheese, coleslaw and Russian dressing. The bread is grilled to perfection with just a hint of butter on top and the cheese just oozes in your mouth. Top it off with one of Sam's amazing homemade pickles and it's a lunch to die for.

Recently, I bought my own Hamilton Beach panini grill and let me tell you, it has changed my life. I grill everything now. It's so easy to use, easy to clean and you can have your meal ready in about four minutes. And it's preeeeeeeeeeetty...



I wish I had had something like this in college. I never would have left the dorm room...well, only to get meats, cheeses and breads. Hmmm...maybe I should write a sandwich grill into my sorority series?

So...what to you is the most perfect sandwich? Where does it come from?

Now that I've made myself hungry, it's off to eat my Sam's sandwich...

Marley = )
Sorority Rush Begins - Spring 2008!
Rush - A Sisterhood Novel
Pledge Class - A Sisterhood Novel

Puffin Books


What am I reading? PARALLEL SEDUCTION by (my awesome agent!) Deidre Knight

8 comments:

Me said...

Now you've made ME hungry! It's only 9:30a here, but I could sure go for a sammy...

My all-time fave is turkey and brie. I used to get them at the deli 'round the corner when I was a student in New York--even though they cost like my entire daily food budget. I just love how the brie--when it's just soft enough--smooshes over everything else. With just a touch of lettuce. It could be on any bread, but Pumpernickel is my fave.

And I, too, am a sucker for the Panini.

Hugs,
TLC

Anonymous said...

holy crap that looks good

stephhale said...

I love the smokehouse turkey panini from Panera. Yummy. But my favorite of all the sandwiches in the whole world is a BLT made with tomatoes grown in my garden(none of those nasty hydroponic things) and lots of Miracle Whip!
Delicious post, Marley!
xo,
Steph

TinaFerraro said...

Sandwiches--yum!

Years ago, in White Plains, New York, I had a delicious experience with a restaurant's signature sandwich, which was essentially hot roast beef and swiss on garlic bread that I have never had again or forgotten.

Paradise Bakery in the Phoenix Airport has a chicken salad on pumpernickel with sprouts that is well worth the cost.

Otherwise, it's hard for me to turn down a really good tuna sandwich. Bad breath or not! :)

Anonymous said...

I am sooooooooo hungry now. I love the post thanksgiving sandwich with dressing, cranberry sauce, mayo, turkey, lettuce and tomato. There's nothing better.

Emily

Paula said...

Oohhh once, when I was in Manhattan at one of those Saturday street markets, I came across a vendor who made the PERFECT cheese steak. No disrespect Philly, but this thing was the shiznet!!

It was chock full of cheese, onions and peppers, messy, falling out of the bread and onto my fingers and it had a slight hint of sausage taste because he cooked it on the same grill as the italian sausages.

Mmmm....oh wait. I'm going to be in Manhattan, on a Saturday next month. Yay!!!!

bevrosenbaum said...

Marley, I was just thinking about buying a panini grill! Now I def will!
Bev

Gerb said...

Best panini I ever had was in the Amsterdam airport. Tomato and fresh mozzarella. Mmmm. Nothing has ever lived up to it. But now that I know I can buy a panini grill? I am so on it!