Monday, January 14, 2008

30 Days to Getting Over the Dork You Used to Call Your Boyfriend

We’ve done two weeks of HOW TO topics, first talking about Dona’s January release, How to Salsa in a Sari, and then mine, How to Hook a Hottie. We’re going to finish up a third week talking about some favorite HOW TO books and writing thoughts.

Last summer, while visiting my editor at Random House, she gave me an Advanced Reader Copy of a book she edited, 30 Days to Getting over the Dork You Used to Call Your Boyfriend: A Heartbreak Handbook by Clea Hantman. Here’s the synopsis:

BEING DUMPED HURTS. But you know what? It happens to everyone. Even Gwyneth, even Cameron, even Madonna have been on the losing end of love. The part you might not believe is that no matter how brutally your heart’s been broken, those wounds will heal. But the longer you dwell on the dork, the longer your heart will remain cracked. Enter 30 Days to Getting Over the Dork You Used to Call Your Boyfriend. One day at a time, 30 days in a row. At the end, you’ll find you have the power to yank that dagger out of your chest, stand tall, walk proud, and move on. And along the way, you may just discover something marvelous and surprising about yourself.


It took a few months for this book to make it to the top of my To Be Read pile, but when it did--wow. I was impressed with its originality, practicality, effectiveness and playful, supportive tone.

My favorite idea was writing the dork’s name on a post-it, putting it on the bottom of your shoe, and then dancing...

While I hope none of our readers are ever in a position to need a book about recovering from a bad break-up, odds are some of you might. I highly recommend you turn to this book for enpowerment to getting yourself back on the road to recovery. (And no, I'm NOT just kissing up to my editor. haha)

What I'm Reading: The Luxe by Anna Godbersen

Tina

Tina Ferraro
How to Hook a Hottie
Top Ten Uses for an Unworn Prom Dress
The ABC’s of Kissing Boys, Spring, 2009
www.tinaferraro.com

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tina,
That sounds like a fun book. Thanks for the tip.

BTW, for those of you didn't get to Tina's signing on Saturday..it was a wonderful turnout!

Janie

stephhale said...

I sure could have used a book like that about 20 years ago! It sounds great, Tina, thanks for the recommendation. I'll have to check it out!

Me said...

Ditto what Steph said. I bet it could also be useful for getting yourself over a bad crush. I can remember a number of times when my mind wanted to forget the boy, but my heart wouldn't let go. If only I had tried the Post-It method!

TinaFerraro said...

Thanks, Janie, yes, the signing was amazing--in part because you came to hang with me!

Steph and TLC, this is the book you hope you don't want...but if you need it, you'll sure be glad it's there!

Anonymous said...

Wish I'd had that book back in college!