Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Interviewing my Heroine: Shelby Locke

Continuing the Buzz Girls Interviewing Your Heroine Week, I met my protagonist Shelby Locke for a quick chat at an indie coffee shop around the corner. She arrived late, was casually dressed in an Ambercrombie sweatshirt and Levi's, and sipped a double-grande mocha with extra whip while we caught up.

Heather: Shelby, you’re the star of Never Cry Werewolf. For our readers, what *is* the story on that, since the book won’t be out until April of next year?

Shelby: Yeah, that would be a good place to start, huh? So, basically, my dad invented this super drug that replaced Botox and made millions. Things were okay until this chick Priscilla started sniffing around Dad, and then all of a sudden she’s my stepmom and we’re living in Beverly Freaking Hills. It sucked moving from Milwaukee where all my friends were. It was kinda hard to adjust, and well, I did make some questionable choices with boys, not ‘cause I was trying to be a bad kid or anything – I was just trying to help them out, but it didn’t always turn out right.

Heather: And so Priscilla got you sent to Brat Camp…

Shelby: Well, actually, I got myself sent to Brat Camp. That’s where I met Austin – he ended up being a werewolf who had his anti-change medication confiscated, and the fun began. Well, actually it wasn’t all fun -- it’s a little unnerving when you like a guy who eats that much raw meat and chases after prey. And there was this whole part where we were stuck in the woods over night. Yeesh. Did I mention I was wearing a red hoodie? And my kind of boyfriend had turned into this massive wolf? Totally fairy tale gone wrong.

Heather: So what message would you like readers to take away from your story?

Shelby: That you should be who you *know* you are inside, not who people tell you you are. Does that make sense? I mean, my dad always told me I was super irresponsible and not trustworthy, but that was total bull. I learned out in the woods with Austin that people can count on me – and I can count on myself.

Heather: Are you done with Brat Camps now?

Shelby: Well… Does boarding school count? Priscilla and Dad still think I need an attitude adjustment, so I’ve been chilling out in Switzerland. There’s lots of snow here. And cheese. But at least there’s no Priscilla, right?

Heather: And no Austin, either though…

Shelby: Well, hopefully that will change, um, Miss Authoress. Hint, Hint!

Heather: You’re so subtle.

Shelby: It’s a gift.

Heather: Okay, so to wrap up – what’s one surprise readers can expect in Never Cry Werewolf?

Shelby: Most people don't know that werewolves have a strict code of ethics – unlike the bloodsuckers of the world.

Heather: Cool. Thanks!

That's it -- more on Austin next week!

Hugs,

Heather

Heather Davis is the author of
Never Cry Werewolf
Coming in April 2009 from HarperCollins

11 comments:

TinaFerraro said...

Wow, Shelby and Heather, this was a fascinating sneak peak into your book. And can't wait to hang with Austin next week.

Anonymous said...

Hi Heather!

I loved this sneak peak into your book. The year is going to be long waiting for the big release day, but so worth it!

-Kelli

Peace, Love and ME! said...

Heather, Shelby sounds like such a wonderful character!! I can't wait to read the book. i love fairy-tales-gone-wrong! i already hate Priscilla!

I'm excited for the release!

<3

Dona Sarkar-Mishra said...

I love Shelby :) But I love Austin more, so can't wait till next week!

Me said...

Yay Heather! It's so exciting to hear more about your book. Shelby sounds like a fun girl to hang with!

stephhale said...

Ooh, fun! I love Shelby already!

The (Mis)Adventures of a Single City Chick said...

Heather, I can't wait until your book comes out! Even though it's not until next year (Boo!), I look forward to helping promote it on my blog for you come that time (Yay!). :-) This was a great peek into it. Thanks for sharing!

Christina

Simone Elkeles said...

I cannot wait to read it, Heather, especially after that interview. Wow! I also can't wait for next week's interview!

Anonymous said...

Wow Heather! Can't wait to read Never Cry next Spring! Hopefully you can work something out with Shelby in the future. :-)

Heather Davis said...

Shelby and I can't wait for you to read the book! Glad you all enjoyed the interview - it was fun. :)

Marley Gibson said...

WOW! Great interview Shelby and Heather. Can't wait until your story comes out and I can read all about your adventures. = )