Friday, May 15, 2009

Sleepytime

You know that old saying, 'You don't know what you've got, til it's gone'? Wait, maybe that's an old Poison song. Anyhoo, never has this a truer statement for me than when my kids came along and I didn't have the privilege of getting sleep anymore. I got 8 1/2 hours of uninterrupted sleep the other night, my first in over six years. It was awesome. Of course it was followed up by a night of three hours then another of five, but hey, it happened, so I thought it might make a good post. First of all, I'm not the kind of gal who can just crash out in front of the TV no matter how tired I am. Here are the things I require to drift off.

1) Noise machine- I have always slept with a white noise machine. I have to have that constant noise or I'm constantly focusing on the noises outside.

2)A pitch black room- People that can fall asleep in a brightly lit room just boggle my mind. I cannot have even the smallest bit of light peeking in or my body tells me it's daytime and I'm missing out on something.

3)To PJ or not to PJ- I know a lot of people who sleep in the buff (I sleep with one)but I'm all about the pj's. It could be two hundred degrees in my bedroom and I'd still have pajamas on. My reasoning: What if there is a fire and I have to escape. I'm certainly not showing up naked at my neighbors house in the middle of the night!
4)Covers- I'm pretty weird about covers too. It could be a million degrees and I still have to sleep with at least the sheet on. I usually have a foot sticking out though.

5)Pillow fluffiness- This is my most important requirement. I can't stand pillows that are too thick, or ones that are too thin. I will admit I'm totally psycho about my pillows. Right now I'm actually sleeping on two that I've pounded down to just the right thickness.


So how about you? Can you fall asleep anywhere or do you have some funny requirements that have to be met first?

xo,
Stephanie
www.stephaniehale.com

11 comments:

Leigh Brescia said...

LoL! We sound like kindred spirits! In order to fall asleep, I *must* be on a bed (no sleeping while traveling). I wear pajamas, too, and I *must* have covers.

It could be dead Southern summer and a million degrees outside, and I'm wrapped up in my feather comforter. DH (who usually sleeps on top of the covers) doesn't get it. :)

Kay Cassidy said...

I have to sleep with white noise too, Steph. We use an air purifier for it though (cleans the air plus makes that lovely gentle whirring noise). We even take a portable version with us when we travel!

TinaFerraro said...

Fun post, Steph!

For me, it's all about how tired I am. I regularly fall asleep in front of the TV, on airplanes, and once during a blazing, blaring action movie at the theater.

But for nights when I'm not truly tired, yes, I have my comfort issues: two pillows (never one), covers, favorite PJs, and dark is preferred.

My biggest problem these days is waking up in the middle of the night and not being able to go back to sleep. Like...last night...(yawn)...

Susan Hatler said...

I'm always jealous of those people who sleep on the airplane. Especially a red-eye. Sleeping with 100+ strangers around me does not allow me to drift off. And, I'm with you on pillows! I have my "reading" pillow (which I fold in half to support my neck), my book pillow (a small pillow, which I put on my tummy to hold the book I'm reading), and my sleeping pillow...firm, but not too firm, thick but not too thick. Fun blog!

Thao said...

Cool post. I can sleep anywhere and anytime if I have my blanket with me. If the lights are dim and there's a pillow, it'll be more than perfect : )

sweetmelissa818 said...

SLEEP?? What's that? I've got a one-year old who still doesn't sleep through the night and a two and a half year old. That means I haven't had a good night sleep since 2005. I can however tell you that I look nothing like that picture when I've been sleeping.

The Golfing Librarian said...

Like all of you, I have my prefered ways to sleep, but I can sleep during some pretty unusual places...like the Dentist's chair...during a root canal! Good drugs!!!

Heather R. Holden said...

Hmm, maybe I should invest in a noise machine to keep my brain distracted. It is always so racy with thoughts that it's impossible NOT to have insomnia.

Jami said...

First of all, cool new header! :)

Secondly, you need to try a sleep mask. A good sleep mask will block out all the light and be soft and comfy to wear. I have been using them for 15 years and am a bit of a baby if I can't find it. I have been working on sewing the perfect one. LMK if you need one! xo

stephhale said...

Thanks for weighing in everybody!

Marley Gibson said...

Awwww...love the teddy bear pic! I think sleep is one of the most amazing things we can do. I love to get in comfy and snuggle and dream. It's such a peaceful and relaxing time. I'll admit I'm a tank top and shorts kind of girl and in the summer, I love cranking the A/C down so it's really cold and you have to pile up the comforter on you. LOL...I know...silly, eh? = )