Monday, May 25, 2009

Would You Buy This Book???

Some writer-friends of mine were playing around on the internet one day, seeing what art work they could find to create make-believe covers for their upcoming books.

Ever the procrastinator, I was totally up for this diversion. My next book is When Bad Flings Happen to Good Girls (Summer, 2010, Delacorte Books), and it takes place at a lake in upstate New York. So I started out searching key words like:

Lake
Summer
Beach
Hot guy
Girl
Bikini
Lifeguard
Swim lessons
Snack bar


When that didn’t reap any rewards, I decided to throw in the word “cockroach.” Because one of those hot lifeguards lost his sense of taste in a skateboarding accident, and for the right dare or amount of money, will eat them. (Aren’t you looking forward to the scenes where the heroine kisses him? ~wink~)

And that was when I came up with this cover. I actually thought it had jump-off-the-shelf appeal, but when I showed it to my writer-friends, I almost went deaf from the collective screams of “eeewww…”



Now remember--this is a joke. (Although I understand this girl is no model, but a real live girl who likes cockroaches.) Anyway, tell us, please, would you buy a book with this cover?

Tina

How to Hook a Hottie, 2009 Rita Finalist
The ABC's of Kissing Boys
Top Ten Uses for an Unworn Prom Dress


16 comments:

Thao said...

Yes I will! The girl looks so happy that the sight of the cockroach doesn't appear creepy anymore. And the storyline sounds good, so why not?

sweetmelissa818 said...

Um, I don't think so. I'm a little creeped out!

go with happiness said...

Probably not...

Liyana said...

Nopes! I get freaked out just by the word "cockroach" itself. :/

Letter Garden said...

At the first sight I'd say: NO!
Disgusting insects on a cover don't appeal me. >_<

Janie Emaus said...

I can't say for sure. But I would pick it up and flip through the pages to see exactly what it is about.

Rhonda Helms said...

OMG. Yeah, I don't think I would. ROFL. She looks a little TOO happy about having a cockroach on her face...

Sara said...

Eeew... no. Thats creepy

Yan said...

um I don't like I would...I probably would have dropped it like a hot potato and run to the nearest bathroom.

Unknown said...

I would buy it actually haha that's completely different from anything I've ever seen so yeah!

Me said...

Definitely no. That is beyond disgusting. Er, thanks for sharing.

TinaFerraro said...

Thao and Robin, the three of us are the "cheese who stand alone." I think I'd pick it up, too, because it's just so...different. However, I would never want this for my cover because of the strongly negative reaction that most people have. In marketing, majority RULES!

Thanks, everyone! =)

Jhenne Tyler B. said...

You know, it depends. O_o

On one hand, I'd be a little horrified to pick up the book, on the other, I'd most likely be intrigued into reading at least the back/inside flap.

"Who is this girl and why in the world is there a bug on her face?!"

If it had a good story and was a hardback, I'd actually probably get it (slip off the scary coverslip) and enjoy.

stephhale said...

I could have lived without this one, Tina. No way!

Marley Gibson said...

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww...that image is SOOOOOOOO burned in my mind now.

Kate at Read This Book! said...

Sorry but I won't be buying it. I will start thinking of those roaches in my house *shudders* and it's not something I'd buy.