Thursday, December 17, 2009

Love is All Around You...

Is there a better time than the Holidays to be in love? Not according to Hollywood. Glowing lights, ice skating, giving gifts, opening your heart, miracles – these all add up to even more romance at the cinema.


I can think of many great romantic comedies with at least a partial holiday theme or setting --While You Were Sleeping, the ending of When Harry Met Sally, Sleepless in Seattle.

Oher movies -- Elf, It’s a Wonderful Life, The Family Stone, Love Actually, About a Boy -- have love woven through the holiday theme in a more normal sense – love is all around you if you’d only open your eyes to see it. Isn’t that the best message ever?

And if you haven't watched It's a Wonderful Life yet this winter, do it. There is no better hero than George Bailey, the richest man in town. I can't help getting teary when George is reunited with his family at the end and Clarence gets his wings.

Ok, guys -- I'll be watching more of these movies over the next few weeks. What are your top three holiday movies about love?


Hugs,


Heather

http://www.heatherdavisbooks.com/
Never Cry Werewolf – HarperTeen 09/09
The Clearing – Houghton Mifflin Harcourt 04/10

6 comments:

j.leigh.bailey said...

Actually, the picture posted says it all. Love Actually is probably my favorite romantic holiday movie. I love Colin Firth, Alan Rickman, Emma Thomson ... actually, I love them all, and the stories are great, especially how they all tie back into one another.

TinaFerraro said...

Yes, LOVE, ACTUALLY, is wonderful! I also like SEREPIDITY and the old '40's classic, CHRISTMAS IN CONNECTICUT.

Heather Davis said...

Right -- I forgot about Serendipity! I haven't seen Christmas in Connecticut, though... I'll be on the lookout for that one. ;)

And yes! Love Actually is way up there in the pantheon of holiday love movies, Leigh!

Marley Gibson said...

LOVE this movie!!!! Love it, love it, love it! I can't go without CHRISTMAS IN CONNECTICUT and HOLIDAY INN and I always like to watch GONE WITH THE WIND around Christmas, as well.

Word Actress said...

My mother loved Julie Andrews so I just bought a copy of Sound of Music to watch this Holiday Season. Since I'm a New England girl transplanted to California, I'm gonna check out CHRISTMAS IN CONNECTICUT. We need more funny Christmas movies. I always liked A Christmas Story, I think it was called. Dad brings home a crazy lamp, the dog eats the turkey and they all end up at a Chinese restaurant. Happy Holidays all! Mary Kennedy Eastham, Author, The Shadow of a Dog I Can't Forget and the upcoming novel Night Surfing

TinaFerraro said...

Word Actress, let us know what you think of Christmas in Connecticut!