Monday, February 28, 2011

After the Oscars

Last Tuesday I made predictions in four Oscars categories (Best Actress, Best Supporting Actor, Best Supporting Actress, and Best Animated Feature) and guess what...? I was right! Big congrats to Natalie Portman, Christian Bale, Melissa Leo (henceforth known at the F-bomb dropper) and Toy Story 3.

Finally, a beautiful baby dress.

Also big props to Anne Hathaway as co-host. James Franco was more than a little awkward and, as many tweeters pointed out last night, looked a little ... chemically enhanced, if you know what I mean. But as much as I loved Anne (and, previously, Hugh Jackman) I kinda wish they would go back to old school comedians again.

Beautiful and witty Princess Mia.

But in addition to being right about the above categories, winning the first annual Oscars bingo competition with Kay Cassidy and Christina Gonzales, and following all the ups and downs on Twitter, there were a few wonderful highlights from the show.

  • Kirk Douglas, oldest presenter at 94 and still going strong.
  • The auto-tune musical montage of Harry Potter, Twilight, and Social Network. OMG. (If you missed it, see it here.)
  • Best Original Screenplay winner David Seidler (The King's Speech) saying, "My father always said to me I would be a late bloomer."
  • Russell Brand and Helen Mirren (looking amazing as always) presenting for Best Foreign Language Film.
  • RDJ (with Jude Law) making fun of his own not-so-illustrious past.
  • The grand finale with the kids of PS22 in Staten Island singing Somewhere Over the Rainbow with all the night's winners appearing behind them. Best ending ever.
  • And, last but most definitely not least, Mr. Darcyer, Colin Firth winning for Best Actor, with self-effacing humor and dignity.

The swoon heard 'round the world.

Did you watch the show? Did you have any favorite (or least favoritelike Cate Blanchett's dress and Gwyneth Paltrow's song, wha?!?) moments to share?

Hugs,
TLC

4 comments:

TinaFerraro said...

Yes, LOVED that musical montage! And Reese Witherspoon's and Halle Berry's dresses...

Colin Firth--oh my, oh my! When he was accepting his Oscar with such dapper, poise and wit, it was like the rest of the world fell away for me. Which I guess explains why my meager DVD collection includes three of his films!

Enjoyed your post, Tera!

nymfaux said...

I LOVED it!!!!

I was a little surprised not to see either the 2010 best supporting actor/actress presenting...But Kirk Douglas was AMAZING!!!!

Also I LOVED Melissa Leo's speech! :) I thought it totally set the bar for speeches; poignant, thankful, and memorable ;)

LOVED the return of Billy Crystal :)

LOVED Randy Newman!!!!--I know that if he hadn't won his first Oscar, he was set to have the record for losingest nominee--kind of the Susan Lucci of the Oscars--I don't know if he was able to get the record after his last couple of nominations, or not...But GREAT speech!!!

LOVED Colin Firth!!!

Also LOVED Steven Spielberg's intro for best picture, thought it really put things into perspective about what an honor it is to get there!

And that's where my dvr stopped...must remember to add minutes next year!!!

I was rooting for True Grit--I've seen a lot of other movies that I've enjoyed this year, and in the past, but I just really felt True Grit went on to a level of AMAZINNESS beyond what I normally reserve for amazing, or even AMAZING.

But at the end of the night, I really don't think anyone can be a loser!

Dona Sarkar-Mishra said...

I love most of Anne Hathaway's dresses...I think she is so lovely!

I also loved Colin Firth's acceptance, he is such a wonderful man.

Manav doesn't understand my fascination with him...he doesn't think he's at all good looking. I tried to explain, "He's...complicated!"

stephhale said...

I thought Anne and James did pretty good, there was a lot of pressure on them. I loved Colin! I've always loved Randy Newman's music so it was wonderful to hear his speech. He was hilarious.