Friday, February 11, 2011

Fluffernutter anyone?

Okay, I have to admit I've never been brave enough to try a Fluffernutter. For those of you who aren't familar with this delicacy, it's a sandwich made of peanut butter and marshmellow creme. I'm not ordinarily an experimental foodie. I find something I like and I stick with it. I'm one of those people who doesn't mix the food on their plates. I'm not psycho about it or anything, if a pea accidentially rolls into my mashed potatoes, it will still get eaten. But as a rule, I don't mix my food.


So I'm strolling through Sam's Club the other day and I see this. I can't tell you how many years I've passed up the Dorito's in the chip aisle without picking up a bag. But this bag was different. It was the bag that the Doritos came in years ago. One look at that vintage Doritos bag and I was back in my grandparents backyard, just getting out of the pool for lunch. My favorite lunch was a tuna fish sandwich with taco-flavored Doritos smashed on top of the tuna.

It amazed me that I hadn't thought about this for decades and now I can barely think of anything else. While this combination of foods is indeed divine, I know that part of the incredibly memory is just the amazing summers I spent with my cousins at my grandparents pool.
What is your favorite food combo that makes other people turn up their nose? Do you have a food that invokes a particular good memory?

What I'm reading now....EVERYTHING by Kristan Higgans, as I am now addicted to her thanks to Tina! :)

xo,
Stephanie

7 comments:

TinaFerraro said...

I adore Kristan Higgins' books! I adore fluffernutters! (Best on Wonder Bread--haha!) I guess that makes me sort of flutternutty about Kristan Higgins!

Wendy Toliver said...

any time I'm at a salad bar, i like to top a dollup of cottage cheese with sunflower seeds. It's funny because now, my kids like it too.

Unknown said...

One of my friends just made marshmallow creme and has been trying to use it up and said she might just bring fluffernutter sandwiches to work today.
I like peanut butter and strawberry sandwiches- my own take on Elvis's peanut butter/banana sandwich since I don't eat bananas.

Karen (: said...

Whenever I go to Subway, I always put ketchup and cucumber on my sub. Just that (along with the cheese and ham.) Everyone thinks it's so gross but I actually find it delicious!
But I do find eating ketchup with mac&cheese or grilled cheese sandwiches gross.

Cara King said...

I, on the other hand, love ketchup on mac and cheese. :-)

And I like salt on watermelon. Or peanut butter on watermelon. Or on apple.

And I secretly like egg salad sandwiches on bread spread with butter.

Cara

Marley Gibson said...

I put mayo on my French fries. Have since as long as I can remember. I also put mayo on hot dogs, which seems to skeeve people out.

Wendy...I love sunflower seeds on cottage cheese!

nymfaux said...

I'm usually the bland one, my menu is meat, cheese, bread, potatoes--Like you said, if I like something, I'll stick with it.

But the thing that weirds people out...I like the taste of raw hamburger. When I was growing up--before it was "unsafe" I used to grab pieces to eat whenever I was cooking anything with hamburger. Now I use ground turkey, and it just doesn't taste the same, or at least it doesn't taste the same, raw.