Tuesday, February 08, 2011

How Do You Socialize?

Twitter, Facebook, Flickr, YouTube, Blogger, FourSquare, ad nauseum. I'm sure I am not alone in the quest to find a way to manage all the online social madness. My standards are high because I want something free that has a web version and iPhone app. I've tried many things. None have been perfect.

Photo by Vironevaeh


For a while I used HootSuite, but they switched over to a premium plan for things that had been previously free. (Bad form.) Then I used TweetDeck, but their iPhone app crashed too often. I've tried Ping.fm, Selective Tweets, and even just opening each site in a separate browser tab.

Today I started using something new. Posterous. Basically, this allows me to send status updates, photos, videos, and blogs directly from my email. I can post to one, two, or all my accounts at once. It automatically generates photo slideshows if I attach multiple pictures, shortens URLs if I paste them in the body of the email, and collects all my posts and updates in a single feed.

It doesn't let me interact with anyone, but I'm excited to try it out.

What about you? What, if anything, do you use to manage your social networking? Have you found that "perfect tool" yet?

Hugs,
TLC

teralynnchilds.com
@teralynnchilds

6 comments:

nymfaux said...

email, twitter, facebook, blogger, phone, texting, and just added linkedin...

there just seems to be WAY too many things out there, weren't things so much easier, when you could just ignore people in one format, instead of dozens?

while most of me likes the interaction, meeting new people w/similar interests, and getting back in touch with old friends and family members that I don't get to see that often...

a small part of me feels like osmosis has considerable merit as a primary form of communication

Heather Davis said...

You do a good job at managing it all, Tera!

I'm just doing Twitter and FB - I haven't integrated them or anything. I think it's because I'm using them differently... On FB, I'm putting a more general thing and Twitter is more immediate for me. Of course, I'm a beginner when it comes to tweeting!

Wendy Toliver said...

I'm totally lost. Ha!

nymfaux said...

@Wendy--you need gps for that!!! :)

Suma Subramaniam said...

Tara,

Its amazing to see the tools you use. I just use email, facebook and my blog.

Thanks for sharing this post. Very interesting to know whats out there for social networking.

Best,
Suma.

nymfaux said...

so...I have a question...BEFORE you post something, is it now considered PRE-Posterous??? ;) *groan*