Sunday, February 20, 2011

Weird Movies



So as I'm sitting here trying to think of something interesting to write about, I happened to flip on the TV and "The Fifth Element" (Bruce Willis) is on. I've never watched it and I can honestly say it's one of the weirdest movies I've ever seen.



Then it got me thinking of other weird movies, ones that left me with a "Okay, so that was bizarre" feeling.


A Clockwork Orange -- I saw this in college so maybe I need to see it again to be sure, but I remember being totally weirded out by this flick. (For those of you who've read The Secret Life of a Teenage Siren, there's a reference to the cult classic in it.)



Cry-Baby -- Johnny Depp's been in his share of off-the-wall flicks (especially when teamed up with Tim Burton) but this one was just, well, strange. Kinda like Grease, only not.





Being John Malkovich -- I always wondered if this was John's idea.



The Rocky Horror Picture Show -- Let's Do The Time Warp Agaaaaaain!

The Killer Inside Me -- Pretty much explains it.



Buried -- An entire movie of a guy in a coffin? Haven't seen it myself but my friend Christina thought it was pretty darn strange.

Now, of all of these the ones I'd actually recommend are: Cry-Baby, Being John Malkovich, and The Rocky Horrow Picture Show. What weird movies would you recommend?

6 comments:

TinaFerraro said...

I have never actually watched 2001 Space Odyssey but it was on in my house recently, and the comments I heard afterwards definitely included "weird!"

Jessica said...

OMG. I used to be totally obsessed with "Cry Baby" in high school...it was SOOO weird, but I couldn't stop watching it. I'd also like to mention all the weird Jim Henson creature movies - ie. "Dark Crystal," "Little Monsters," "The Witches"...they were all creepy and weird.

Wendy Toliver said...

Tina, I don't think I've watched that one either.
Jessica, my family just watched the Dark Crystal the other day on Netflix. The only one who made it all the way thru was my husband, haha!

Cara King said...

Ooh, I like weird movies.

I'd totally recommend "Buckaroo Banzai" -- yeah!

And I have fond memories of "Repo Man."

And the John Cusack movie "Better Off Dead" -- I have friends who still quote from it.

And I agree with your recommendation of "Being John Malkovich"! Oh, hey, there's John Cusack again...the muse of happy geek weirdness.

Speaking of which, does "Grosse Pointe Blank" count as weird? Because I adore that movie...

Cara

nymfaux said...

oooh! great post!!!

I've only seen the posters for "A Clockwork Orange" and they totally creep me out--Even as much of a movie-lover as I am, I haven't been able to bring myself to watch that one. (re-reading Teenage Siren for movie references...)

LOVED Being John Malkovich--am pretty sure I heard it was written independently of Mr. Malkovich, so cool that he went with it, though!!!

I would put Moulin Rouge in the weird good category--I saw it three times in the theater--I just had to keep going back, because I'd never seen anything like it!!!

My other weird movies:
Donnie Darko, Spinal Tap, and Natural Born Killers.

-Spinal Tap, I would definitely recommend. (though A Mighty Wind is BY FAR my favorite!!!!)
-Donnie Darko I can go either way on.
-And as for Natural Born Killers--I would stay away at all costs!--I wanted to stop the movie a hundred times, but I knew I'd never turn it back on again, and so I kept watching just to know how it would end--trust me, knowing is overrated.

Heather Davis said...

I think I would add Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. That's a great weird one by the same screenwriter as Being John Malkovich.