Sunday, June 17, 2007

My Heroes have always been...

People who support loved ones in creative careers!

This is especially close to my heart because I know so many writers, artists, musicians, etc who don't get the kind of love and support from their families and friends that I do. Who hasn't heard the story of the husband who tells his wife, "You can write after the kids are grown, right now they are your full time job." or the tale of woe of the parents telling their twenty-something musician son who is playing at the local Nordstrom while waiting for his big break, "Get a real job!"

So, my thank you goes out to all those people who show their love, support and never-ending belief in those of us in the creative field.

I have always been extremely lucky to have a husband who is more enthused than even me when I start writing something new. He's always ready with new plotlines and book titles. He tells the world his favorite author is Dona Sarkar-Mishra. He is counting the days till I hit the best-seller list so he can retire :)

So, that's my hero...slightly untraditional in terms of heros, but these are the kind of people who make creative types like us believe we WILL succeed and we WILL make our dreams come true.
-------------------------------
Dona Sarkar-Mishra
HOW TO SALSA IN A SARI - January 2008 Kimani Tru
http://donasarkarmishra.com
http://donasarkar.blogspot.com

4 comments:

TinaFerraro said...

Bravo, Donna!

And my husband has always been 100% supportive, too, even encouraging me to travel to writing conferences and network when there was absolutely no money coming in from my writing.

And now that I've got 4 contracted books, he's my biggest supporter, and like your husband, has dreams of early retirement. :)

stephhale said...

What a sweet post, Dona! And you're right, those people are heroes. There is so much rejection in this business that it is so important to have supportive people to fall back on who tell you that you will make it!

Marley Gibson said...

Awesome post, Dona! My hubby is my best supporter, as well. I wish I could bottle up his support and sell it to other writers.

= )

Simone Elkeles said...

All I can say is that you guys are so lucky to have a man to support you like that!
~Simone