Saturday, June 02, 2007

Stay Golden...

Well, the Buzz Girls have beat me to the punch this week. Bridget Jones’ Diary, Pride and Prejudice, Circle of Friends, Clueless – you guys have listed several of the best there is.


So... I have to go old school on you peeps...


I give you – The Outsiders.




Not only do you get the fabulous messages of S.E. Hinton’s book and the great line, “Stay golden, Pony Boy” – you get the debut of a gaggle of 80’s hotties: Tom Cruise, Matt Dillon, Rob Lowe, Emilio Estevez, Ralph Macchio, C. Thomas Howell, Patrick Swayze – and in a bit part, my leftover pre-teen crushee Leif Garrett.



The movie is a beautiful interpretation of a spare, moving book that is worth re-reading – and is a classic YA. I recommend the book and the movie.





Both of them have stood the test of time, and are as

applicable to today’s teen readers (heck, any readers!) as they were back in the day.


Hugs and Happy Writing!

Heather


Heather Davis
is the author of Never Cry Werewolf
coming in 2008 from HarperCollins






5 comments:

stephhale said...

Oh, I love this movie. I remember we read the book in school then got to watch the movie. I thought it was so cool that they let us watch a movie filled with hotties! Great pick, Heather! And I didn't know that Leif had a bit part. Too bad he's turned out so scary. :)
Steph~

TinaFerraro said...

While I've always been a voracious reader, I can count on one hand the course-required books that really moved me, and THE OUTSIDERS is definitely one of them. I loved the movie, too! Great choice, Heather!

Marley Gibson said...

But wait...Colin Firth's not in this movie. :::EG:::

Couldn't love this story more. Saw the movie when it first came out. Too many cute guys. But the story is so wonderful. I ended up doing a paper in college on "Nothing Gold Can Stay."

Great post!

Me said...

Ah, the birth of the Brat Pack! I've never read the book--but maybe as soon as I track down and read The Stand I'll go after this one. =) Nice pick, Heather.

Hugs,
TLC

Anonymous said...

7th grade. Humanities. Mrs. Hornbaker. I loved being read to--might in fact still like it--and I remember her walking up and down the aisles in the classroom reading this book. I'm not sure when I saw the movie (I think that's when my crush on Rob Lowe started), but I cried at the end when Ralph died...and when Matt Dillon was killed, too. And that song by Stevie Wonder, "Stay Gold", always makes be cry.

Ironically, I never had the inclination to read the book on my own. I enjoyed it so much when it was read aloud (with the voice cadence), I didn't want to ruin my memory of it.