Monday, March 08, 2010

Tower of Power

Something quite odd has happened in my life...in my house...well, in my room. The mile-high pile of books that has kept me company for as long as I can remember has been dwindling...


What's the story here? Well, three things...

1--I have been reading a lot;

2--I have started buying and reading some books electronically on Kindle; and

3--I have worked my way down to the books that don’t immediately appeal to me. These are the ones I’d bought on a whim or to support a particular author, received as a gift, or have been keeping around because I felt I “should” or “someday might want to” read. (Two examples: book 5 in a series in which I long ago lost interest, and Willa Cather’s My Antonia.) So I decided to tackle those books one-at-a-time by reading the first chapter, then deciding whether to continue or move to my donation pile. Which has turned out to be about 50/50...with the ones I’ve chosen to finish turning out to be terrific. So I feel like I’ve been winning by simply trying.

And I’m all jazzed up about reading again, and missing the Tower of Power on my nightstand. What books can you recommend for me to add?

Tina

Tina Ferraro
Top Ten Uses for an Unworn Prom Dress
How to Hook a Hottie
The ABC’s of Kissing Boys
www.tinaferraro.com

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Is it bad form to suggest GIRL IN THE ARENA? Here's info including my whacky book trailer. www.lisehaines.com. If you're looking for a now-classic, what about Virgin Suicides, one of my faves. I can't wait to see the other suggestions.
(And how about those gowns last night? I loved Bullock's gown, and Kate Winslet...)
My best,
Lise

Janie Emaus said...

The first book which comes to mind is THE BOOK THIEF. Probably one of the best books I've read in a while.

The Golfing Librarian said...

Hey, if you've got "My Antonia" on the list, then you HAVE to put "A River Runs Through It" in your T of P.
BTW, "What is Hip?" is my favorite Tower of Power song. (What's that you say? You didn't ask?)

TinaFerraro said...

Lise, not bad form at all to mention your own book. Thanks!

Janie, yes, that's definitely on my list to read.

Chuck, you've mentioned A RIGHT RUNS THROUGH IT before as your favorite book, and while I've seen the movie, will look for the book.
And favorite Tower of Power song...hmmm...all I remember is that they played disco!

D.M.Cunningham said...

I am a Genius of Unspeakable Evil and I Want to be Your Class President. I was laughing out loud at this book. It was a fun quick read.

TinaFerraro said...

Great idea, D.M., thank you!

stephhale said...

Tina,
I can't remember if you've read The Hunger Games and Catching Fire yet but they are great!

TinaFerraro said...

No, Steph, I have not, but they're on my list! Thanks!

Heather Davis said...

Oooh -- read NEED by Carrie Jones. I just fininised it and it was *awesome* !! I can't wait to read the sequel.

xo,

Heath