Saturday, November 29, 2008

Oscar Time!

One of my favorite parts of the year--Oscar movie season--is upon us! This year there weren't as many great movies as I would expect. So far, my favorite contender for "Best Picture" has been The Dark Knight, but according to buzz on the web, there are a few more coming.


"The Dark Knight"
Pros: It's the best movie I've seen on the big screen. I think a lot of people can agree with that.
Cons: "Superhero" movies hardly ever win this catagory but "The Dark Knight" was SO much more than that...it was coming-of-age, drama, tragedy, just everything all in one.


"WALL-E"
Pros: It's really cute.
Cons: Personally, I believe this should get "Best Animated" instead.

"Revolutionary Road"
Pros: I LOVED the trailer. It's all about who really chooses what life we "should" live and covet, questions I think about all the time.
Cons: It looked semi-indie and those could really go either way.


"The Wrestler"
Pros: A "comeback" movie. Everyone loves those. In this case it's a comeback for both Mickey Rourke and the wrestler he portrays in the movie.
Cons: Mickey Rourke? Who?





"Milk"
Pros: Sean Penn and James Franco's acting? Wow! (According to the trailers anyway).
Cons: It's going to be very depressing as Harvey Milk was assasinated by an unemployed worker.

What about you guys? What movies are do you think stand a chance at the Oscar this year?
Stay tuned till Feb 22nd to see which of these "hopefuls" makes the cut!
------------------------------
Dona Sarkar-Mishra
http://donasarkarmishra.com/

2 comments:

TinaFerraro said...

I haven't seen any of these movies (I know--shame on me!), but I did see The Visitor last weekend--which has gotten much hype as an Oscar contender--and thought it was great.

Marilyn Brant said...

Hi Dona :).
I haven't seen any of them either, but I've been planning to see both the Dark Knight and Revolutionary Road. Maybe over the holidays! As for Wall-E, my husband and son saw it and both enjoyed it.
P.S. And I definitely remember Mickey Rourke!!!