Friday, November 21, 2008

Shopping on Black Friday...a great way to start the season or a deadly contact sport?

Believe it or not, I'm a Black Friday virgin. I've always been a little scared to venture out shopping on this day in the past. I'm not the push and shove type and never felt the urge to be run over by an overzealous shopper with a loaded-down shopping cart. But I've been putting off purchasing some things (a new vacuum, and a new set of pans, I hate buying crap like that) and Target is having some amazing deals that I just can't pass up. A twenty-nine dollar vacuum? Seriously? I'm there. I'm hoping that the crowds aren't so intense this year because of money being tighter. And I'm hoping that I can wrangle up some aggressiveness, just in case someone decides to fight me for the last vacuum.

I'm planning to go dressed in a track suit and tennis shoes since I can move faster in those. And I'm planning on wearing my hair up so I don't accidentially lose some of it in a cat fight. I'm kidding, of course, but it never hurts to be prepared. Any other tips from experienced Black Friday shoppers?

So how about you, will you be sleeping in next Friday or hitting the stores? What kind of things are you hoping to score for cheap?

Happy early Thanksgiving to everyone! I hope you have many things to be thankful for this year.

xo,
Stephanie
www.stephaniehale.com

7 comments:

MySharonAnne said...

I would love to be sleeping but I work in retail so I'm putting in 10 hours on Friday. Maybe I'll get to break up some cat fights

TinaFerraro said...

Best of luck with that, Steph! The advice I have from previous Black Friday shopping is not to take anything personally. I remember being in a department store where they announced the big "steal" every half-hour or so and people would run to the item. I found it bizarre, actually, rather than thrilling, and sort of looked around for the candid camera. ;)

Marley Gibson said...

I buy everything online. Going out in the jungle like that scares the beeejezzzus out of me!!!

Alyson Noel said...

I'll be sleeping in. My first job was in retail--and I'm still scared of Black Friday! Sounds like you have a good plan though so best of luck!

Heather Davis said...

Yikes! Good luck, Steph. I'll be one of the ones at home in my PJ's while you are duking it out with other bargain-hunters.

I worked in retail, too -- and it is not a fun day. But, the store owner used to get us pizza, so at least there was that. :)

Shalonda said...

Yay!!! I am glad someone else is crazy enough to brave the crowds like my sister and I plan to do. We are going to begin shopping at the Midnight Madness sales at the outlets and then hitting up the mall when it opens at 5. Hopefully, we'll make it to bed around 10 a.m.

Good Luck!!!

Diane said...

We have Boxing Day sales in Australia, the day after Christmas day and I avoid them -total bedlam.


I have nominated Books, Boys and Buzz for an 'I love your blog award'.

After receiving the award, if you’d like to participate, you must:
1) Add the logo of your award to your blog.
2) Add a link to the person who awarded it to you.
3) Nominate at least 7 other blogs. (perhaps each of you can nominate a blog)
4) Add links to those blogs on your blog.
5) Leave a message for your nominees on their blogs.

you can pick up the logo on my blog at http://www.dianecurran.wordpress.com

Thanks for the great read!