Thursday, April 23, 2009

Do you do scary?

When I was just a young thing (many moons ago), I had no problem going to the movie theatre and watching flicks like Nightmare on Elm Street(a remake is scheduled to be released on April 16,2010 for you younguns who were still in Pampers when the first one came out) then flopping into bed and sleeping like a baby. Maybe it was because I felt safe with my parents at the other end of the house or maybe it was the post-movie makeout sessions that fried my brain and made me forget the scary movies! Whatever made it so easy to watch and forget those movies has since betrayed me. If I even attempted to watch The Strangers or one of those freaky-looking Saw movies, I'd be up for days jumping at my own shadow.
"I'll make out with you."

Having confessed all that, I do still love to get my spook on. It's just a milder spook these days. CBS started a show a few weeks ago that is perfect. HARPER'S ISLAND. It runs every Thursday night until July. The synopsis is that all these people gather on this island (Harper's, duh) for a wedding. It's an enchanting island off the coast of Seattle or something fictious like that. Oh yeah, and about six years ago, some dude killed a bunch of people there. Of course the heroine is a tortured soul whose mother was a victim and this is the first time she's been back to the island since her mom died there. But she made the trip for her best friend's wedding (Henry from Ugly Better only looking WAY cuter having ditched the glasses). It's got romance, drama, and your basic B movie cheesy acting, but best of all, it's kept me guessing. And it has been surprisingly risque for CBS. You can even go to the website and pick your victim for the next show and possibly win $$ if you are right. Picking your victims is such a treat, especially if you've had an exceptionally bad day!
PLEASE WATCH THIS SHOW BECAUSE IF IT GETS CANCELLED BEFORE JULY THE AUTHOR OF TODAY'S BLOG MAY LOSE HER MIND.

So, how about you? Are you a hardcore gory movie watcher, middle-of-the-road suspense addict (like me), or do you prefer the only death you see is the obits each day?
xo,
Stephanie
www.stephaniehale.com

10 comments:

go with happiness said...

I love any kind of scary movies. But I have yet to jump out of my seat...

TinaFerraro said...

Steph, I'm not a scary movie type of person, but this storyline interests me. Can I watch it from the beginning on the website?

Cara King said...

I'm such a wimp that even TV horror shows terrify me. (Like Supernatural -- though I love it! Sam and Dean are just yum...) I think if I ever saw an out-and-out horror film I'd keel over from terror... :-)

stephhale said...

Yes, Tina. I meant to put that in the blog that all past episodes (3 now) are on cbs.com

Jennifer Bianco said...

I adore horror--the scarier the better. However, very little actually scares me. I am quickly grossed by the bloody gore of slasher films, which are not my favorite at all, but love the twists and turns of psychological thrillers, like Gothika and Hide & Seek.

BTW, the Saw movies have some very interesting plots. I was surprised. :)

I'm heading to CBS.com now to check out the first three episodes. Thanks! It sounds interesting.

Celise said...

I think it depends on the scary factor. Freddie, Jason, Saw, Texas Chainsaw (in all it's forms) Hostel, The Hills Have Eyes...all that stuff I won't see. I refuse to see it and tell my hubby that he'll have to go see those kinds of movies with his friends.

HOWEVER, I'll seen movies like ALIENS (seen them all), PREDATOR, and the whole ALIEN VS PREDATOR franchise. Those can be pretty gory, but for some reason, I can handle it better. All that other stuff seems so senseless and over-the-top, y'know?

Unknown said...

I love scary movies. Freddy, Jason, Chucky (Child's Play) only scared me for the first 2 movies. After that, the series just got funny to me. Scary movies that I absolutely can NOT watch are the ones with demons/demon posession, like Exorcist, The Omen, etc. I still, to this day, have not watched all of Exorcist.

stephhale said...

Rae,
I forgot all about the Chuckie movies, those were hilarious. I haven't watched all of The Exorcist either, too scary!

go with happiness said...

Want to see the Exorcist, but too wimpy to watch it alone. I fear I won't be able to sleep that night...or the next...or the next.

Me said...

I love scary ... but movies and TV don't usually do it for me--except for I Am Legend and the 28 Days Later series. It's the scary books that really fright me silly. And I don't mean horror books, I'm not into graphic. The scariest book I ever read was And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie. Had to get up halfway through and make sure my closets were empty and all the doors and windows were locked.

I'm DVRing Harper's Island so I can watch it all at once.