Sunday, May 02, 2010

Ask me no secret, I'll tell you no lie...

Following the awesomeness that was Stephanie's debut week for THE ALPHA BET, complete with lies, lies, lies...I'm here to talk about secrets...and to celebrate the release of my new book, GHOST HUNTRESS: THE REASON.

Here's Buzz Reader Stephanie with her copy:

Stephanie and THE REASON from Borders in CT

So...secrets...we all have them, some of us keep them, most of us tell them. But what if a secret was being help back from you by someone you trusted the most in the world? What if that secret changed the course of your life?

Well, for Kendall Moorehead, she's about to discover a secret that's going to rock her world! How will she react? How will she move forward?

In college, I once knew a friend's dirty secret. Not just any friend...but the person I considered my *first* friend in life. We'd known each other since we were five. Her secret was so bad that I still won't reveal it today. I kept it, supported her, covered for her with her mother, and never told anyone else. It was a hard secret to keep because it involved her doing something that I didn't totally believe in. Something she kept from her parents, and other friends, and her boyfriend. But, I was a good friend to her.

Then, we came back from Thanksgiving break and I walked into her dorm room and there was her mother. She was red-faced and angry and she began screaming at me. She accused me of making her daughter "miserable" and "ostracizing" her. She said I was jealous of her daughter. She told me to get out of her daughter's dorm room and never come back. I had NO idea what was going on? How was I making her miserable? How was I ostracizing her? What was her mother on that was making her insane and crazy like this?

I opened my mouth to speak when I saw my friend's eyes. They implored me not to say anything. To just go with the flow. To not tell her secret. It was then that I realized that her mother didn't know her terrible secret and she had used me as an excuse to justify her sadness and depression. I pitied her and I felt bad for her mother. I told the mother that she had no idea what she was talking about and I walked out of the room. My friend and I weren't friends after that. On a big college campus of thousands of people, we went our separate ways and remain there twenty plus years later. But I never told her secret.

Maybe if she ever Googles me and sees this post, she'll know what a good friend I was and perhaps reach out to me. Who knows?

As Henry Wadsworth Longfellow said: "Secrets are things we give to others to keep for us."

GIVEAWAY

Have you giving a secret to someone to keep for you? Were they true to you? What was the impact of that secret on you? Tell us your experience with keeping secrets. (You don't have to tell us the secret!) Leave a comment in the trail to be eligible to win a copy of GHOST HUNTRESS: THE REASON.

And check back with more books being given away all week long!

Hugs,
Marley = )

Ghosts don't hang up their sheets on November 1st
GHOST HUNTRESS: THE REASON - Available Now!

15 comments:

Ladytink_534 said...

I don't think I've ever trusted anyone enough to keep a really big secret. I've kept quite a few over the years though. High school was one big dramafest!

DeNiSe said...

I've given my secret to my BFF's but there the secrets that are small are they have been true to there word and have keep them
My friend has told a very personal secret and I'm very greatful that she has trusted me to keep i t
I think its good to keep some secrets secrets good for the soul

Denise Madness

denisemadness(at)yahoo(dot)com

TinaFerraro said...

Yeah, I have experience with this secret thing, too. To this day, I am keeping the secret of a friend who later turned on me. In fact, no one would even care about it anymore, but it's still staying with me because the right to do!

bookaholic said...

Over the years,I have realized that keeping secrets 'safe' with anyone can go against me in the poignant of times,no matter how trustworthy I might think the person is. So now,I barely have any secrets...I am more of an 'open book'. It's better that way I guess. I trust no one except my family and me with my secrets. Well..I seem to have presented a very bleak view of human trust but I think it really is a very fragile thing.
Also,once I trust someone with a secret,I am in constant fear that the person might 'back stab' me...so as you say "Ask me no secret,I'll tell you no lie.."
However,I happen to go totally tight lipped when I am trusted with anyone's secrets :)

donnas said...

I have never given anyone a really big secret. I have done little ones to people I trusted. And sadly sometimes I did get burned in the experience.

bacchus76 at myself dot com

Cara King said...

I used to have a close friend who would just tell any secret as soon as possible. He wasn't malicious, but he was like a secret sieve...sometimes he forgot it was a secret (half an hour after promising not to tell), sometimes he had a "reason" for telling...but he always told.

He's still sort of a friend of mine, but I haven't told him anything worthwhile in years....

Precious said...

I told my friends about my secret. Well, okay...when you tell a secret to people, it's not really that much of a secret anymore. But still... This secret started to spread, to other classes, to the whole batch. And I really had this feeling who betrayed me. And my suspicion was confirmed because of her past betrayals. But I never told her that I knew. From then on, I never trusted her again.

I kept secrets myself. I have this one close friend. We always shared secrets with each other. And none of these secrets escaped our lips. This is the kind of trust that I like.

precious_shusky@yahoo.com

Margay Leah Justice said...

I don't like secrets, telling them or keeping them. I'm pretty open as a rule, so I don't have a lot of secrets to share and I wouldn't put that burden on anyone else. I hate it when people say "but you can't tell anyone." Well, then don't tell me because I don't want to be the guardian of your secrets. Especially if it means lying to someone about what you tell me. I don't like lying for myself much less other people.
Margay

AllisonPaige25 said...

One night when I was in the fourth grade, I woke up to the sound of my parents arguing, unbeknownst to them I crept to a safe hearing spot and listened and what I heard changed my life forever.. they were getting a divorce! I'll never forget the way I felt after that, I had a heavy weight on my heart and I needed to tell someone. I ended up telling my best friend who by the way is still my best friend today and she held my hand and let me cry.. that day she told me a secret too, her parents were also getting a divorce. It felt good to be able to have someone to share the feeling of sadness, hurt and confusion.. not only did I trust her with a secret she kept for me, but she told me a secret she trusted me with, that I in turn kept for her. It brought us closer as friends.

Heather Davis said...

I've kept a pretty big secret for a close friend for nearly ten years. It was hard to bear, so she had to tell someone (me). But I've kept the secret, because that's what you do for a friend, right? (Unless it was a really, bad secret where someone was going to hurt themselves or someone else, obviously!) Congrats on the release, Marley!

Llehn said...

I don't really have any big secrets so there's really no one to tell :D But if I did I would trust it with my other half. He is like a vault.

Bidisha said...

When I was in the 9th grade, I trusted one f my best friends with a pretty big family secret, and then, sometime later, we had a fight and she went ahead spilling it around the whole school. It was horrible. I've never trusted anyone with a secret since then.

Christa said...

Is it crazy that "keeping secrets" makes me smile immediately? Because I think of Sabrina (the Teenaged Witch, yes, that one) & all the crazy excuses she has to come up with to cover for her secret.

I'm a pretty private person but I'm also pretty honest, so I don't have a lot of big secrets... but secrets does make me think of being in high school & making up silly code names to talk about my friend's crush whenever we wanted... those are good memory secrets. : )

Thanks for the giveaway.
ambience.of.rain {at} gmail.com

Sara said...

I usually tend to keep my secrets to myself. The secrets I've told others about, however, have stayed safe with them (I hope!)

nymfaux said...

ok, I don't know if anyone is watching this post anymore...

But Friday, I got a whole lot of drama stirred up--I have a group of friends, and had gotten an email about from one of them implying that all of them were uncomfortable with a certain member (who happens to be my sister)--so I wanted to email the other two girls to see if that's how they really felt--I sent separate emails, because I wanted to personalize them to each person, but the bulk of what I was saying was the same, so I did do a copy and paste with part of it--I SWEAR I did a good edit, but in the second email, I ended up spilling something that the 1st girl told me in confidence. Luckily, the person who would have been hurt by the info, was NOT in the whole email loop on this. However, even though it was a total accident, my friend is really mad at me.--I apologized right away (profusely)and explained what happened--I know I screwed up--And then I get a lecture from her about not cc/bccing people on private emails (hello??? did she even READ my email???)--It was an editing snafu, and I know I screwed up---I apologized again, even more profusely. But she's left me hanging now for three days--I mean the secret wasn't THAT horrible, the other friend might be a little hurt, but especially since the secret was really only a "might have happened" not anything that even ended up happening--So I can't talk to my BFF, because it was her secret, I can't tell my sis, 'cause I don't want to hurt her, and I can't tell anyone else, because of the secret--And my BFF is just leaving me hanging--IT WAS AN ACCIDENT--did I screw up, yes, but is it really the end of the world???

Anyway, I'm tired of feeling so guilty, I'm the kind of person (unfortunately) who will obsess over this kind of thing until there's some kind of resolution. But I remembered this post, and was hoping if anyone still watches it, I could take some kind words or some insight. thanks world