Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Trailblazers: Ivanka Trump

In my Spring ’08 release, HOW TO HOOK A HOTTIE, heroine Kate is determined to be a self-made millionaire before she’s 20. She’s got all kinds of ideas and schemes which may or may not work--but in any case, I’ve enjoyed reading up and getting in the mindset of powerful young women.

And so accordingly, I present the first in an occasional series of blogs called “Trailblazers,” featuring young women who are going places--fast. And I start with the impressive Ivanka Trump.


I’ve watched most episodes of “The Apprentice,” but when Donald Trump’s daughter, Ivanka, made her first appearance on the show, I was annoyed by what seemed like nepotism.

Until she opened her mouth. To my surprise, she came out with smart and intuitive comments, presented in a friendly, yet professional tone. By the second or third show, I found myself tracking her, wondering if what she’d zero in on or say next. And since hearing that she’s replaced Carolyn on the next season, you can bet I’m going to tune into every episode.

This much I knew about her: she had been a teen model, she graduated from Wharton School of Business like her dad, and is a VP of her dad’s conglomerate. This I recently found out: she was a teen model because her parents did not give her a spending allowance, forcing her to take the initiative to make her own money. (Great move, Donald and Ivana!) And she’s not 29 or 30 years old like I thought--but at 23. Wow.


Moreover, I realized that her peers are likely the uber-rich, spoiled celebuties types. Ivanka could have just as easily gone that route, but instead chose to make the most of her brain, her position, herself.

I look forward to watching her and applauding her successes.

Any thoughts about Ivanka or any other priviledged young women you see making the most of their lives?

Tina

www.tinaferraro.com
Top Ten Uses for An Unworn Prom Dress, March, 2007
How to Hook a Hottie, Spring 2008

10 comments:

Kelly (Lynn) Parra said...

Wow, very cool. :) I may have to pick up watching the Apprentice again, Tina! And I love the series of posts idea. =D

Anonymous said...

I agree with Kelly. This is a good idea for a series of posts. I didn't know that Carolyn was off the show. I guess I'll have to start watching again and see how Ivanka does.

I guess she was lucky that she had "model" looks. I can't see one of Donald Trump's kids working at MacDonalds.

Anonymous said...

She's only 23? Wow! She's so intelligent and successful! Although, I suppose it helps that her father is a billionaire! She seems like she will follow in her father's footsteps... can you imagine how much money there will be by the time it is passed on to her kids?!
~Sarah

TinaFerraro said...

Thanks, Kelly, Janie & Sarah for your thoughts! And it makes you wonder about nature-versus-nuture, huh, if she was BORN smart and saavy (like both her parents) or learned it from them? Probably both.

Tina

Anonymous said...

do you think it's more challenging for someone like her who is expected to do, say, act, etc. a particular way because of who her parents are? how do you think young people adapt to that without turning to substance or acting out?

stephhale said...

I have to admit I never really got into The Apprentice, so I've never seen how she acts. But I admire her. If my parents were uber-rich, and I looked like that, I can guarantee I would have turned out exactly like Paris.
xo,
Steph
www.stephaniehale.com

Simone Elkeles said...

I think The Donald is a pretty tough dad and has really groomed Ivanka to be who she is. He's a calculated man whom I totally respect, but I'd rather have my dad over him any day.

She'll be successful her whole life, that's for sure. I'm a fan of The Apprentice, but I stopped watching because it got to be too commercialized.

~Simone Elkeles
www.simoneelkeles.com

TinaFerraro said...

Hi Anon,

Yes, I do think that the bar for Ivanka's success was set higher than for most girls--by her parents and by society. But from what I've read over the years, much of how these high profile kids turn out is determined by the level of involvement by their parents. But of course there are the exceptions.

Thanks for weighing in!

Tina

TinaFerraro said...

Steph,

I really can't see you as a Paris Hilton-type, but I'll take your word for it. LOL.

Tina

TinaFerraro said...

Simone,

I agree that The Apprentice has become too commercial. It gets embarrasing to me when they talk about certain companies as if they are the be-all and end-all (and then cut to the candidates who nod as if it's a given). I was ready to throw in the towel, too. But Ivanka fascinates me, so I'm back for one more season.

I'll keep you posted, okay?

Tina