Monday, August 10, 2009

Sharing the Wealth

I got my nails done the other day, and sitting down the row from me were two friends who--from the chit-chat that filtered down my way--hadn’t seen each other in a few weeks. But I didn’t get even remotely interested in eavesdropping until I caught little snippets about “Edward” and “Jacob” and realized they’d moved on to discussing the Twilight books.

For it thrilled me to know that book characters were such a part of their friendship that “where they were in the series” and “what they thought of the events” was part of their catch-up.

And it made me think of some of my friends, and how whether or not we’ve read the latest Stephanie Plum novel (by Janet Evanovich) is something we’ll discuss upon random meet-ups in Starbucks or pushing a supermarket cart.

(Incidentally, here’s a photo of Janet and me, taken by her daughter at the 2009 Romance Writers of America, and which I downloaded from Janet’s Facebook page--which explains why I get the last name and she doesn’t. And how fantastic is it that SHE’D feature ME, huh?)


Anyway, I swear, the only thing better than a great book is a great series! And what better way to celebrate friendships than to “share the wealth?”

Are you Twilight crazy, too? Wild for Stephanie Plum? Or maybe it’s Alyson Noel’s Evermore series? Be a friend and dish!

10 comments:

stephhale said...

The only people in my life who are big into big are my book club friends. They are all pretty Twilight crazy at the moment. I think the next series I'm going to get them addicted to is The Hunger Games!

Jennifer Rummel said...

I love talking about books - particularly an one that i adore

Iserr said...

I love all three of the series', they're just really great books to ready. And Janet's books are really funny.

Heather Davis said...

Tina, great topic! I love Libba Bray's Gemma Doyle series -- and of course Scott Westerfeld's Uglies series, too. Series can be really fun because the character really gets to grow throughout the run of the books.

Heath

Alyson Noel said...

Aw, thanks for the mention!! I can't believe you got to meet Janet--so cool!!

sunnynikki said...

I'm the main reader of everyone I know but I manage to get my friends and family into books so we can discuss them. Now I have everyone reading Twilight, Janet Evanovich, and Diana Gabeldon. Next I'll work on some others like Evermore so we can keep discussing after everyone is caught up with me.

Me said...

How cool, T! I love series. Growing up I was completely addicted to Babysitter's Club and Sweet Valley High. More recently it's the Bridgerton series by Julia Quinn and (like Steph) The Hunger Games!!! (I'm reading Catching Fire right now. Bliss.)

Amanda Villagómez said...

I'm Twilight crazy, ever since I finally read the saga last December/January. The Noel books look really interesting, but I haven't read them yet, and I haven't heard of Stephanie Plum yet (gasp)! It sounds like another one I will need to look into though.

TinaFerraro said...

Thanks for all these comments and series suggestions--and another fantastic one that I failed to mention is, of course, Harry Potter!

Cara King said...

One of the cool things about the Twilight mania is that the books are something I can discuss with my friends, but also with my teenage cousins and niece...because just about every teen girl who hasn't read the books has at least seen the movie, and can comment on how cute (or stinky) Robert Pattinson is... ;-)