Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Hump Day Hottie Way Back Machine

I'd like to take you back a couple of decades... to the 80s. The era of Boy George, lace ruffles and ankle boots, Cabbage Patch Kids, and the California Raisins. And some of the greatest movies of all time--including one of my all-time faves: Girls Just Want To Have Fun. Why, you may ask, is this my fave? Sure, Sarah Jessica Parker is a great goody-goody schoolgirl. Helen Hunt is an inspiring bad girl. And Jonathan Silverman and Shannen Doherty provide loads of laughs. But the highlight of the movie, for me, is Lee Montgomery. Who? Lee Montgomery.


You might not have ever heard of him. He started out as a child actor in the 70s, starring in The Million Dollar Duck, Runaway!, and an episode of Columbo. He had dozens of parts on classic 70s and 80s TV show before landing the role of Jeff Malene in Girls Just Want To Have Fun. Jeff is a tough, bad boy, working class kid who really knows how to dance. He gets paired up in the dance contest with good girl Janey (SJP) and, of course, eventually falls for her. Jeff has it all: a gorgeous smile, adorable dimples, a sarcastic sense of humor, a great behind, hunky arms, and (my must) dark brown curly hair. He even rides a motorcycle. Vroom, vroom. Oh yeah, he can dance, too.

But what happened to Lee? He made GJWTHF in 1985, a couple more movies in 1986-1988, and then... nothing! No more acting roles. So what has he been doing? Well, there's not a lot of info out there, but he's credited as the "Composer" on Legend of the Phantom Rider (2002) and Trespasses (2005). All I can say is, "Girls just want to have more Lee Montgomery!"

TLC
Growing Up Godly, Summer 2008
Dutton Children's Books

what I'm reading ... Murder of Bindy MacKenzie by Jaclyn Moriarty

13 comments:

Lisa Asanuma said...

I am DYING to read The Murder of Bindy Mackenzie.

Me said...

Bindy is awesome! Even better than The Year of Secret Assignments, I thing. =)

Lisa Asanuma said...

Oh that's so exciting! Jaclyn Moriarty makes me love epistolary novels. <3

stephhale said...

I am also dying to read Bindy! I had to pry the book out of my own fingers (not an easy task) the other day b/c with a tbr pile of about 25 already, I just couldn't justify it. I'll be able to soon though! :)
I totally remember Lee. I loved that movie and he was SOOOOO hot in it. Maybe he'll google himself and contact us! ha! :) Good post, TLC!
xo,
Steph
www.stephaniehale.com

TinaFerraro said...

TLC, I haven't heard of Lee Montgomery, but I've had my own crushes on actors who have disappeared from the screen...

Here's hoping either one of our readers can shed some light on his whereabouts, or he googles himself (we writers wouldn't know a THING about that!) and finds this blog and says hello!

Tina

stephhale said...

ha, jinx, Tina. Great minds think alike! :)

TinaFerraro said...

Okay, this is getting weird, Steph, because I had wrote a "great minds think alike" reply, got it to the preview stage, and saw yours! So I am editing for, well, something different to say. :)

Since our brains are in line, don't suppose you'd like to work on my book for me today???

Speaking of books, I love us adding "What I Am Reading" at the end of our posts, and I'll be sure to "weigh in" next week...

Tina

Heather Davis said...

Who is this mystery man? He's quite the cutie.

It would be cool to see what he's doing now...

Wait. What if he Googles himself and finds this blog and sees his picture and posts?? C'mon Les where are you?

Heather

Heather Davis said...

OMG, I am such a DORK! Sorry, Steph. That is what I get for skimming everyone else's comments.

Heather

*slinking away to obscurity now...*

Marley Gibson said...

Okay, you stumped me! I usually have my finger on the pulse of things like this, but I did not know who Lee Montgomery was.

According to IMDb, he hasn't acted since 1988, but he has been composing and did a movie soundtrack in 2003. He's from Winnepeg, Manitoba, Canada...eh?

Marley = )
http://www.marleygibson.com

GeminiWisdom said...

I loved that movie! My second book, Dance Jam Productions, was kinda based off that movie. And you're right. He WAS cute. And a man that can dance is all good iin my book. He had really long eyelashes, too. I remember that.I'm gonna have to go out and find that movie.

Miss M said...

I couldn´t have said It better my self..
I miss him =/

Anonymous said...

Lee Montgomery=HOTTIE