Tuesday, January 16, 2007

The 411 on "24"


I love to watch “24” on DVD's, one episode after another. The action keeps my brain whirring, although I admit I sometimes focus in on the smaller things. Like the sets and locations (and the fact that Jack Bauer can get anywhere in L.A. at any time of day in less than fifteen minutes--uh-huh), the occasional plot inconsistencies, and the idiosyncrasies of the characters. (Anyone else notice how often Audrey Raines says Jack's name per episode???)

But in particular, there is one character who grabs me. Love her or hate her, it’s computer analyst Chloe O’Brian. She’s socially immature, often rude, and her face seems frozen in a pout. But in a crisis, she’s focused, reliable, your go-to person. And what IS “24” if not an ongoing crisis?


Chloe makes me think of the people in my life I’ve been forced to deal with. The ones who have grated on my nerves, made me want to scream, “Grow Up!” or “Get a life!” or something cruder. They’ve been school project partners, teachers, bosses and co-workers, and at times, I’ve had to struggle to be civil. But in most cases, ultimately I've ended up seeing the good in the person, sometimes gone on to consider him or her a friend.

My hat is off to the “24” writers (and to actress, Mary Lynn Rajskub) for creating Chloe and getting such a rise out of me.

So...any “24” fans out there? If so, how do you feel about Chloe? Or is there another character on the show who gets a strong reaction out of you?

Tina

www.tinaferraro.com
Top Ten Uses for An Unworn Prom Dress, March, 2007
How to Hook a Hottie, Spring 2008

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't watch 24, but Dr. House on House and his entire staff are wonderfully developed characters, that draw me in week after week. I'm glad he won the Golden Globe.

Janie

Anonymous said...

I adore Chloe. If she ever dies I won't be held responsible for my actions. She and Jack are the only two characters on the show that I could not stand losing. It would be too much. Besides, how would Jack ever get anything done without Chloe? She's the one person on the show that is completely, obsessively loyal to him and that's the kind of person i'd want in my life. Social dysfunction aside, true loyalty is a rarity.

--Mojo

Kelly (Lynn) Parra said...

Sadly, I'm not a 24 watcher! But have heard great things about it. =D

TinaFerraro said...

Mojo, you're absolutely right about Chloe's loyalty! It is rare, and it's what tempers her personality to me.

Thanks for jumping in!

Thanks, too, Janie and Kelly. Gotta check out those DVDs someday...

Tina

stephhale said...

I'm with Kelly, I just never started watching 24. I've got too long of a Tivo list as it is. I do love Kiefer though.
I've seen that girl in another show though, but I can't remember what it was. I remember she was good though.
xo,
Steph
www.stephaniehale.com

Marley Gibson said...

I need to get the whole series on DVD for my mother who loves it, but has missed too many episodes. Guess I need to go check out eBay!

Marley = )
http://www.marleygibson.com

Simone Elkeles said...

Haven't watched it, but everyone who does raves about it.

I think my TiVo is full.

Simone Elkeles
www.simoneelkeles.com

Dona Sarkar-Mishra said...

oooh, i really wanted to watch this from the beginning. Alas PRISON BREAK and ALIAS got in my way. This and Veronica Mars are shows I know I can get hooked on real quick :)

Anonymous said...

I don't watch religiously, but I tune in whenever I remember. As a bona fide sucker for disaster entertainment (Day After Tomorrow and Jericho, for example) I love anything centered on impending doom... maybe I need therapy. But I agree with Mojo, Chloe and Jack are (or at least used to be) the only reasons I watched the show.

Now, at least at the start of the new season, they also have Michael Angarano from SKY HIGH getting taken hostage by a terrorist. He was so cute in that movie and I'm glad to see him diversifying his credits.