Monday, January 08, 2007

Random Thoughts on a Dreary Monday

It's January and winter here in New England. Now, typically I wouldn't complain about the lack of snow, but this global warming is totally messing with the seasons...and my wardrobe. Today, it's in the 50's here in Boston with some nasty rain and gray skies. This is the type of day to spend hunkered down in the comforter with a good book to read between naps and warm drinks.



I am pleased to report that after a marathon twenty-one days of writing (mostly over my Christmas-Birthday-New Years vacation), I have completed BOOK TWO (no, we still don't have titles) in my Sorority Sister series and have turned it in to my fabu editor for her to work her magic on it. I loved wirting this book because I got to explore my three heroines - Roni, Lora-Leigh and Jenna - even more than the first book.

A random funny while writing this book: I work on a sales desk of a financial firm in my "real" job and most of the guys have expressed interest in being in the books. Not them as people or writing about them, rather, they just want to see their name in print. So, there are about a dozen references to my real work colleagues -- at least by name. They're all so excited and have promised to buy many, many copies of the books when they come out in the Spring of 2008!

I'm also thrilled to announce that my dear pal, Wendy Toliver, has sold her YA to Simon Pulse. THE SECRET LIFE OF A TEENAGE SIREN is tentatively scheduled for Fall 2007! Sooooo proud of Wendy! I've read this book and I can assure the readers of Books, Boys and Buzz that it is one satisfying read with such a touching ending.

I'd also like to shout-out to my sweetie, Kwana Minatee Jackson who just signed on with the fabulous Elaine Spencer of The Knight Agency for both her YA and her women's fiction books. Kwana is a dedicated writer who has really stayed with it, developing her craft and now she's landed a fantastic agent. Good luck selling!!!!!

Seems everyone around me here at work...on the city streets and on the public transportation...are suffering from some sort of plague. Coughing, hacking, sneezing. I really don't want to catch it. Course, I had a flu shot, unlike most of the people at work. Why would you not get a free flu shot?



Here's hoping your Monday is a wonderful one...perhaps with sunshine or at least blue skies. What do you do on dreary days like this? Is this the perfect reading weather? Watching movies? Catching up on...things?

TEASER: I probably won't be blogging next Monday because of the MLK holiday. However, please tune in for a fun contest surrounding my Sorority Sister series. You don't want to miss this!!!

Marley = )
Sorority Rush Begins - Spring 2008!
Puffin Books

8 comments:

TinaFerraro said...

It's clear, warm and windy in Los Angeles today. Feels more like fall than winter.

On dreary days, I love to read, watch movies, and write. Oh, wait--I love that every day. :)

Congrats to Kwana and Wendy on their fab news last week!

Tina

www.tinaferraro.com

Dona Sarkar-Mishra said...

Oooh, I am so happy things are working our for Wendy. Congrats girl! Love that title!

And Kwana is one of the sweetest people I've met. I got a chance to spend a lot of time with her at the 2005 RWA and she is just a doll!

And Marley, stay healthy and rested girl!

Anonymous said...

i hate flu shots. they always give me the flu. i hate when people sneeze and don't cover up. that's rude.

Anonymous said...

It's rainy here in Oregon today. And Gray. It's the perfect knitting and reading weather. Not neccessarily the perfect writing weather.

Here in the Northwest coping with dreary weather is a way of life--I wrote a post for our chapter life on how to maximize your writing productivity on deary days.

mwvrwa.blogspot.com/2006/11/writing-through-rain.html

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much Tina and Dona! And, of course, Ms. Marley, for posting my (and Kwana's) news and for being such an amazing friend. It's all coming together after a lot of hard work and I'm so excited!

I live in the Utah mountains and boy is it beautiful. We keep getting the snowstorms right before they dump on Denver, so our snow is coming in nice little 2-inch shifts. (Just enough to keep the snowblower warmed up.)

The waterfall by our house is half frozen and looks like something out of an Alaska calendar, and we walked out on the ice on the lake the other day. Have you ever done that? It's really strange how you can hear the water flowing under the ice, kind of like ghosts trying to get out. Something I think everybody should experience.

Wendy Toliver, who loves where she lives and her wonderful author buddies

stephhale said...

Congrats, Wendy. I'm so happy for you.

and a little bit jealous of your locale!

xo,
Steph

Simone Elkeles said...

I went to the dog park with my two dogs last week and the entire place was one big mud puddle. Can't the ground either freeze or dry up? Middle of the road is just not good for my boots (which are still caked in mud in the garage)

It's pretty cold here in Chicago today, though.

Simone Elkeles
www.simoneelkeles.com

Anonymous said...

Oh man! I'll tell you why you aren't geting any snow! It all got dumped in good old colorado! Seriously 55 inches in about three weeks! I am so sick of it! I hope you are not dying of sickness! That would pretty much just suck...

Anyway! Happy Late New Year!