Saturday, February 23, 2008

Curious for George

Happy Saturday from snowy, snowy Boston. Hope where you are is a lot warmer!

I woke up (late this morning -- loves my sleeping in time on Saturday!) and decided I needed to do a little dusting. I worked my way over to my secretary that I inherited from my grandparents. Here, I keep all of my "old" and "valuable" books - like a 1964 printing of GONE WITH THE WIND and some of my books from my childhood.



Today, I was particularly drawn to a couple of books on the end: CURIOUS GEORGE GOES TO THE HOSPITAL and CURIOUS GEORGE LEARNS THE ALPHABET. These came out the year I was born and I remember reading them so much that the covers came loose.



I turned to the front of the book to see who the publisher was (like any curious author) and irony of irony....it hit me...George's publisher is also my publisher... Houghton Mifflin Company here in Boston. Coincidence? I think not! Amazing that books...and a character who meant so much in my childhood are produced, even today, by the very publisher who bought my GHOST HUNTRESS series.

Isn't he just the cutest?



Do you have a favorite childhood book that has stayed with you? What is it?

Hugs,
Marley = )

SORORITY 101: Zeta or Omega? (May 2008, Puffin Books)
SORORITY 101: The New Sisters (May 2008, Puffin Books)
GHOST HUNTRESS Series (Begins May 2009, Houghton Mifflin)

7 comments:

Deidre Knight said...

I have such a soft spot for Curious George!! Riley adores him, of course... and so do I. :)

Anonymous said...

i had a lot of childrens books that has stayes with me. In fact, all this books are beside me now! The big bookcase with al my childrens books stands beside my compuer. well lets see..
The bear nobody wanted and The Jolly Postman by Janet and Allen Ahlberg is one of my favorites.When i was older i was really a balletbook girl. I have two series of them that are very special. One is the ''Cindy'' serie
This serie has 6 books and is about Cindy and her girlfriends and her and their families. Cindy has to choose a sport. Then one day her mother names ballet..Cindy thinks its dull, with strict teachers and everything. But then Cindy and her two friends Helen and Tamara are going to take a trial lesson..
The other serie is about Ballet Club The little swans.
Sorth of the same as the Cindy serie, but for younger girls.
And i loved all of the Astrid Lindgren books. The Children of Noisy Village, The Brothers Lionheart, and the Children on Troublemaker Street Where are all time favorites of me. And my grandparents read always Nobodys Boy(Remi) by Hector Malot for me.

for a look of the ballet books, click here..

Cindy books (author page)
http://www.kluitman.nl/view.php?pn=71383&s=2

Balletclub Little Swans on stage.

http://www.ikoopjes.be/images/boeken/kinderboeken/B1007.jpg

Marlayne

Leigh Brescia said...

According to my mom I was a "Lyle, Lyle Crocodile" fan. My little girl *loves* George, though.

~Leigh~

Kwana said...

That's great Marley. You're in good company. I'm stil a huge Cat in the Hat, Green Eggs and Ham fan.
I do not like them in a box or with a fox...!

TinaFerraro said...

I am with you, Kwana...Dr. Suess books remain favorites to this day!

Anonymous said...

dr seuss is still cool. my sister likes curious george.

Wendy Toliver said...

I still have my copy of Barney The Beagle, and my sons love it. The poor thing is totally coming apart, but I like it that way. It has been loved, you know? Another one both my husband and I loved and we have his original copy of is Ferdinand the Bull.

Curious George is so cute. I remember seeing a pygmy marmoset (sp?) at the zoo once and thinking it WAS C.G.