Tuesday, February 05, 2008

My Hero: Austin Bridges III

It was super nice of Austin to grant me a brief interview in NYC, a stop off on his dad's world tour.

Austin met me at the Apple Jack diner on Broadway and W. 55th and without even glancing at the menu the waiter extended, ordered a very rare steak. With his messy hair, faded leather jacket, jeans and a green scarf to set off his dark eyes, Austin had the look of a young Hollywood actor bent on living the Bohemian lifestyle. I selected a slice of cheesecake from the revolving glass dessert case, slid into the booth with Austin and then turned on the tape recorder.

Heather: First of all, Austin - I apologize for not posting a picture of you. I've got Ryan Adams, so I'll put him up as representative rockstar cutie.

Austin: Yes, but I'm not a rockstar.

Heather: I know, but your dad is -- and I LOVE Ryan Adams.

Austin: Yes, you've been mentioning him repeatedly since we got here. Shall we get to it, then?

Heather: Yeah, sorry. It was such a good concert last weekend. Okay, so maybe you want to give me the rundown on Never Cry Werewolf?

Austin: Boy meets girl. Boy is werewolf.

Heather: Uh... yeah, thanks.

Austin: Kidding, only kidding. I was sent to Camp Crescent by my father's idiot new road manager while Dad was on safari with the band. I thought it would be bearable (since I didn't know it was apparently a Brat Camp) but then, the counselor found my anti-change serum. Without that, I turn furry.

Heather: Right. Do you want to talk about that?

Austin: It's a part of who I am, who my family is, but it's not my lifestyle. My father enjoys it -- I don't. That's all I'll say.

Heather: And at camp you met Shelby...

Austin: Ah, yes. Shelby is amazing. She was the one person I felt I could trust. I miss her so much.

Heather: Yeah, she's doing the boarding school thing right now.

Austin: I know. I've kept watch.

Heather: Ooh, she'll be glad to hear that.

Austin: Well, she'll be finding out I've been guarding her well-being in the sequel. I'm certain we'll be together again.

Heather: Okay, you don't have to give me *the look* Austin! I'm writing it, already.

The steak arrived and Austin dug in. I took a bite of cheesecake and pondered the future of girl and werewolf. Above my head, the autographed image of actor Lon Chaney, Jr. smiled down at us, seeming to approve of my werewolf hero and the bloody steak.

That's it from the Big Apple...

Hugs!!


Heather

Heather Davis is the author of
Never Cry Werewolf
Coming in April 2009 from HarperCollins

7 comments:

stephhale said...

You've gotta love a man who orders his steak rare! I can't wait to get better acquainted with Austin! :)

TinaFerraro said...

Woo-hoo, strong, confident, I love Austin already! (Don't tell Shelby...)

TJ Brown said...

2009???? OMG what a long time to wait!
Teri

KT said...

your book looks like it's going to be super! I don't think I can wait a whole year for it to come out!

Peace, Love and ME! said...

ahhw! he seems so perfectly wonderful!! i can't wait to for your book! shelby is lucky

...2009...what could i do until 2009...i cold find my own werewolf!!!

<3

PS, Ryan Adams is yummy!

Anonymous said...

2009! that's just too long to wait (please tell me it's going to be released at the beginning of the year). Your book looks really interesting. I want to find out about both Shelby and especially Austin (he sounds hot). Hopefully 2009 will come fast enough, where's Doctor Brown and his time machine car when you need him.
MJ

Marley Gibson said...

I know! Can't wait until 2009 to read this book. Austin sounds fab!!