Wednesday, January 07, 2009

New Year...a new diet!

Happy New Year everyone! Here's wishing all of our readers a lovely, successful, awesome 2009! Thanks for sticking around with us...it's gonna be a great year!

As like so many of you, one of my resolutions is to lose weight. I'm happy to report that I'm down 18 pounds from this past summer and would like to lose an additional 22-ish pounds. My hubby and I bought an elliptical for the house as our Christmas present and the guys from Resolution Gym are coming to put it together today. Can't wait.



But there's more to losing weight than just exercise. We must eat right. No matter the hype with all of these diets...the science is really simple: consume less calories than you expend. Easier said than done...right?

So, I've been looking at a way to jump start the weight loss and reading up on all the fad diets. There are sooooo many of them!



Weight Watchers - been there, done that, did well, bored with it.
Jenny Craig - hey, it worked for Valerie Bertinelli and Kirstie Alley! LOL!
NutriSystem - hey, it worked for Don Shula and Dan Marino - I've heard the food is nasty, though.
Special K Challenge - my lactose intolerance can't handle that much milk
Acai Berry diet - okay, is it just me or is everyone and their brother getting spammed with news of this one that's promoted by Oprah and Rachel (gag me) Ray. What's this all about?
South Beach - I'm not a big meat-eater, so I don't think will work for me
The Master Cleanse - my friend Kristen is doing this and it's working for her, but honestly...tea, lemon, water and cayenne pepper?

There are tons more. It makes my head spin! What works? What's fad? What's hype?



What has been your secret that has worked for you? Of course, different diets work for different people, but do you have anything to share that might help?

Off to drink my XXX Vitamin Water (acai-blueberry-pomegranate - 150 calories!) and get to work.

Hugs!
Marley = )

GHOST HUNTRESS: THE AWAKENING (Coming May 2009, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt) GHOST HUNTRESS: THE GUIDANCE (Coming October 2009, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt)
GHOST HUNTRESS: The REASON (Coming May 2010, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt)
CHRISTMAS MIRACLES (Coming October 2009, St. Martin's Press)

SORORITY 101: Zeta or Omega? (Available from Puffin Books)
SORORITY 101: The New Sisters (Available from Puffin Books)

17 comments:

C.R. Evers said...

My favorite is the Fat flush diet. It has 3 phases, it's big on organic and stuff. The weight really melts off if you can stick to it. I like this plan the best, because it's the healthiest plan that I've seen and I feel the best when I do it. It's not just a weight loss plan, but it's also meant to cleans and detox your liver.

I think the most real-life friendly diet is the Body for life diet. It's about real foods and teaches how to eat carbs in moderation rather than cutting them out. It also allows you one "off day" during the week" which is always fun.

Good luck! have fun getting healthy! and congrats on your weight loss!

stephhale said...

How funny, Marley! My hubby and I bought each other an elliptical machine too! We really love it. It gives such a good workout. I'm just trying to give up pop (My addiction) and eat better. I'm planning on talking about some motivators on Friday too! ;)

Laraine Herring said...

You might want to take a look at your ayurvedic dosha. This is an entire way of eating/living that has Hindu/Indian origins. I learned about it through my yoga practice. It's kind of like your blood type diet, only it takes into account more than that. It's generally vegetarian, though I do eat meat occasionally. I have had tremendous success changing the types of foods I eat, rather than trying a particular diet. I increased whole grains (lentils, barley, quinoa, rice) and vegetables and real fruit (not fruit drinks like Naked Juice or smoothies) and basically cut out food that isn't "real". It's the shop-around-the-edges of the grocery store idea. Buy only fresh food that was once alive in some way. I do have a cheeseburger every now and then, but my body has readjusted to a more healthful way of eating and I no longer want the foods I used to eat daily. Nobody can eat perfectly all the time. Since so much of eating is based on desire rather than actual hunger, we'll eat what we think we want, which is often some sort of refined sugar or white flour product. Underneath, is the body's real craving for grains, nuts, vegetables, and animal protein. The whole grains & veggies also are a detox & cleanse.

Whatever you do, be healthy & enjoy your life each moment! :-)

TinaFerraro said...

I lost 25 lbs last year, as some of you know, and I did it by increased exercise and decreased eating.

But the struggle now is keeping it off...

holly cupala said...

Marley, I am so feeling it with you! I've now begun my annual carb-fast (after my annual Christmas candy binge!). :D

Kristen Painter said...

For getting a fresh start with your diet, deprogramming the crap out of your system and dropping some incentive pounds fast, you can't beat the Master Cleanse. Honestly, I feel so good! I've had tons of energy and have been getting some great workouts in.

After I break this fast, I'll be incorporating a lot of raw food into my diet - another easy way to shed some excess weight.

weight loss pills said...

Natural Cures wrote an interesting post today on Here’s a quick excerpt Living a healthy lifestyle involves controlling your weight. We all know that it can be difficult to lose weight, but it can be done with a little effort and encouragement. The natural way to lose weight is certainly the best option. Other than natural methods, taking http://www.belmos.com

charley said...

that was some sort of good solution - there are some other good solutions available into the market but this sems to

be the best so far.. .

Health Care said...

that was some sort of good solution - there are some other good solutions available into the market but this sems to

be the best so far.. . Quite a week, indeed.-Health Care

Unknown said...

acne treatment
You look great now...I also thought about posting a shot of myself...but will wait, because now I realize that my weight and stress of it has caused a medical condition I have to take care of...you have been inspiring to me with the post and all!

Unknown said...

small business web design
You look great now...

Unknown said...

well, this is a hard one to practice. We need high motivation to do this. But where there is a will, there is a way. expert witness

Nikki said...

that's really a fantastic post !pest control saint George

desing arts said...

Nice article.....I really impressed while reading your post.....Thank you so much , it will useful to every one....

Unknown said...

nice post for the health releed - acai berry detox

kaki said...

preety blog...Nurse Aide Training Programs Hawaii

Slimberry said...

Oh ya diet time. I think its better if people were focusing more in living a healthy life instead of losing a lot of weight with crash diets