Monday, March 22, 2010

“I’d Like Mine Rare, Please”

For reasons I will never understand, my idea of a really good time often includes poking fun at myself. So I am prepared to take all kinds of (kind-hearted) teasing over the following admission:

When I go to pancake breakfasts--which happens several times a year in my small town-ish community--I ask for my pancakes served rare.

No, I am not kidding.

Because I learned, by accident, about 15 years ago, that in fact I did not dislike pancakes as I had always thought. I just disliked them thoroughly cooked. Which is to my taste, dry. (Yes, I use butter and syrup and sometimes even fruit and whipped cream--but still dry to me.) I like my pancakes about cooked about three quarters of the way through, which means, hard on the outside and soft in the middle.


Which is not to say that I get what I want at these pancake breakfasts. Reactions include the server staring at me blankly, laughing, or just pushing an already prepared (dry) stack at me. As well as my husband or one of my kids nudging me to shut up, take it and behave.

At home, however, I am free to make my pancakes as I choose, and no one notices or cares. In fact, it is accepted that I will always make my own. (“I did it my way...”)

Now as far as commenting, no way I’m asking if you like your pancakes served raw in the middle, too. (Although if you happen to know someone else or have heard of someone else, do tell me! It would be nice to know I am not completely alone.)

Instead, feel free to express your BLECH! reaction. And then tell me about your favorite pancakes, be they buttermilk, blueberry, chocolate chip...

Tina

Tina Ferraro
Top Ten Uses for an Unworn Prom Dress
How to Hook a Hottie
The ABC’s of Kissing Boys
www.tinaferraro.com

6 comments:

The Golfing Librarian said...

You'll never walk alone...as long as my sister is around. We've given her plenty of grief about her desire for "gooey in the center" pancakes!

TinaFerraro said...

Chuck, give your sister a hug for me! I honestly thought I was the only one in the world! Okay, from here on out, I'm telling people, "Well, you know the sister of Chuck, the golfing librarian, sees it my way, too." Yay!

Paddy said...

Well, I do think blech, but pancakes give me another problem. No matter how many I eat or what else I eat with them, I'm starving again in an hour. Nobody else in my house is! What's that about?

Heather Davis said...

Hmm. I think I know what you mean, Tina. Rare pancakes - I'll have to ask for that and see what happens. ;) I always ask for my eggs over-medium and almost nowhere do they cook them right, btw.

Heath

Anonymous said...

You crack me up, Tina. I have to admit I haven't eaten pancakes for 12 years. I got sick off them once and just can't go back. My husband is the pancake king. He eats them almost every morning without fail! It you are ever in these parts, I'll have him cook you up some gooey ones!

stephhale said...

That last one was me. Not sure why it's showing up as anonymous.