Sunday, March 07, 2010

What's Your Type?

I just finished watching Zombieland for the first time. I've been wanting to watch it for a while, and when Hollywood video called to wish me happy birthday last week and told me I could have a free rental, I decided to go for it.

While I'm more of a vampire and werewolf fan, I have nothing against zombies. I read and loved Zombie Queen of Newbury High by the lovely Amanda Ashby, The Forest of Hands and Teeth by the lovely Carrie Ryan (by the way, The Dead Tossed Waves is due out March 9!) and my TBR pile just acquired Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. I've watched some zombie films too, like Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Night of the Living Dead (which reportedly was the movie choice for my parents' first date), and a fairly recent one that dealt with zombies and the apocalypse but for the life of me (pun intended) I can't recall its name! Grrr.

Okay, that was quite a birdwalk from what I set out to write about today. What I was going for was a theme about BOYS. And yes, while zombies as subject might be hot, I have yet to see a zombie dude we non-zombie girls drool over.

In Zombieland, Jesse Eisenberg played "Columbus," a non-zombie character reminiscent of the characters Michael Cera usually plays--like in 2 of my favorites, Juno and Nick and Nora's Infinite Playlist. You know, kinda dorky, awkward, nervous, quirky, charming, sweet, honest, and kinda-sorta cute if you squint just right. At one point in Zombieland, Columbus asks the little sister (played by Abigail Breslin) of the girl he's crushing on (played by Emma Stone) what her big sister's "type" is. The little sister says, "Bad boy," so Columbus drops their popcorn bowl on the floor (trying to be a "bad boy," if you didn't catch that). Yeah. Doesn't quite work. So, I'm not sure if it's the fact that they're in the midst of an apocalypse and the supply of hot non-zombies is severely depleted, Columbus's personality ultimately wins her over, OR she's flat-out tipsy from Bill Murray's 1996 (if I remember correctly) wine, but (please skip to the next paragraph if you haven't seen it yet and don't want a spolier) our sweet little Columbus gets to first base with his crush. Yay!

Now, that's what I wanted to write about today. What's YOUR type? Do you like the type of guy who goes shopping with you and tells you which sandals to buy? Do you like the guy who is "all business" and has his future AND your future mapped out? Do you like guys who are into movies, art, sports, books, theater, camping? Shy or outgoing? Sexy or sweet? Alpha or laid-back? Sweet or smart-alec-y? Boxers or briefs?
And I guess it's not fair for me to ask without sharing my type. Though I've experimented just to be sure I'm not missing something, I've always been drawn to atlethic, protective, smart, handy, and somewhat outgoing guys. And I'm definitely a fan of boxers or boxer-briefs. So, sorry, Michael Cera and Jesse Eisenberg, but you're great for guy-friends, but boyfriends? Nope.
So, tell me! What's your type? And if you can tell me what zombie movie neither I nor my husband (who is 100% my type) can recall on my VERY limited description, bonus points to you!

9 comments:

Lenore Appelhans said...

Zombieland was so much fun. I loved that scene where he was trying to be "bad"!

Ella Preuss said...

I loved Adventureland where Jesse played the same type of guy -dorky and awkward. I'll have to see this!
And as for my type, I don't really have one, or I don't know what it is yet!

Anonymous said...

I'm not really sure if I have a type. Everyone I've ever liked for the most part has been different. I like dorky and adorable tough, that's cute. I guess I just want someone who's respectful and who listens, someone who has a good sense of humor and is patient with me haha. I'm really laid back so I don't want someone who's super high maintenance and of course you want to have things in common. I guess I'll know when I meet him. ;)

Billy Burgess said...

Zombieland was a fun movie. I also like the movie Shaun of the Dead

Wendy Toliver said...

Lenore, I loved that scene too!
Ella Press, I still need to see Adventureland.
Michelle, those are some great qualities!
Billie, I liked those two movies, too.
Thanks for commenting!

mariska said...

I like the type of guy, humorous, kind, sweet, Smart, protective, responsible..cute :)

i found that in my DH !

Mena said...

I want to marry my best friend. I want him to be someone who treats me with respect and who I want to become more like. And I want him to call me out when I'm off-base- to help me improve. I want us to have fun together, to be able to talk for hours, or to just "be" together.

Bidisha said...

I like guys who are sporty and smart..lol

Heather Davis said...

I'm not sure the nerdy guy is my type, either, Wendy. I love a guy who is handy, funny, sweet, smart. Tall order, I know. :)