Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Homecoming Buzz Continues...

I am thrilled to be participating in Homecoming Week, honoring our wonderful Stephanie Hale’s first release, REVENGE OF THE HOMECOMING QUEEN.

My high school didn’t do much in the way of Homecoming (or if they did, they did it without me), but I’ve been a fly-on-the-wall at celebrations at my kids’ schools. Some of you may have already heard the following story, but since I’m writing this from Hawaii and my brain is a bit sun-soaked, it seems right to me to bear repeating…

Last year, I did publicity for my son’s high school, and one of my assignments was to do a write-up on the crowning of the Homecoming Queen for submission to the local newspapers.

The afternoon of the game, my younger son asked if he had baseball practice later. “Yes,” I told him. “But Dad’s going to take you. I have to go cover Homecoming for the papers.”

My son got real silent, and when I looked over at him, his face was contorted with worry. "Mom?” he said tentatively. “Don't you think they should find someone, you know, who actually understands football, to do that?"

It took me a moment to realize he thought I had meant the game coverage. And I could just imagine what had been charging through his head, that I’d write something like:

“Omigod, so the hottie in the white helmet did a body slam against some bruiser on the other team, and can you buh-LEEVE he grabbed the ball from the guy's hands? I mean, people, someone could get hurt here...”

After I assured him that the actual game would be covered by a sports professional--and that I was perfectly capable of writing news copy on the crowning--we got a good laugh out of it…

Which brings me right back to REVENGE OF THE HOMECOMING QUEEN, a book I know will bring you laughs, and delight you on many levels. So be like a Buzz Girl and fly to your nearest bookseller and buy a copy today!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aloha Tina,
That is a funny story. And I can't wait to read Steph's book and to meet everyone in Dallas.

See you next week.

Janie

Kelly (Lynn) Parra said...

Love that story, Tina! :) :)

Me said...

Hilarious, Tina! Your poor son. =) Hope you're having a sun-tastic time and you bring back lots of pictures to share. Fingers crossed that Sawyer makes an appearance... =)

Hugs from hotter than Hades Vegas,
TLC

stephhale said...

Tina, I can't tell you how much it means to me that you are on vacation in HAWAII and still taking time to post & check in! Thanks so much! I'm a lucky buzz girl. :)
Happy 4th of July everyone!

TinaFerraro said...

Thanks, Janie, Kelly, TLC and Steph! We had a lovely Fourth of July here in Hawaii, watched fireworks on the beach...and then crashed out early since we'd spent the day on a tour of LOST locations. No Sawyer sightings, but plenty of fun!

Steph, if I get inside any bookstores here, I'll hunt down copies of REVENGE and give you a report!

alexgirl said...

What a cute story!
I just bought Steph's book and can't wait to read it. We had the same release date!

Heather Davis said...

Too cute, Tina!