Monday, January 25, 2010

After The Storms...

Anyone paying attention to U.S. news last week probably knows that California suffered some wild weather! Record rainfall, tornadoes, thunder, lightning, mudslides, snow...you name it.


As a resident of a Station Fire burn area, I had started making preparations for evacuation last weekend, and my last blog post included news of that, as well my concern for how I was going to care for the feral cat who lives in our yard, a fluffy, matted cat that I call Ivy.

Monday brought torrential rains, and the tent I'd made for Ivy soon flooded. Tuesday's rains were lighter and more scattered, but my second attempt at a safe haven for her bombed out, too. Then, with our biggest storms approaching, the evacuation calls came in, saying we had approximately 12 hours to get out. My brain racing, I suddenly had A Bright Idea on how to help poor, wet, shivering Ivy.

The last thing I did, after filling the car with our treasured possessions and my two cats, was to go back in the house and open the cat door. Immediately inside I put a dispenser of dry food (enough to last about 5 days) and a blanket. And I left...

We were able to return on Friday afternoon, and the first thing I noticed was about 75% of Ivy's food gone, and some tufts of her thick fur on the lineoleum and blanket. So I think I effectively solved the What To Do With Ivy? problem--at least during evacuations.

As far as the hillsides, thanks to the dilligent efforts of our city workers, there were no flash floods or mudslides. No damage at all. And thanks to the freezing temperatures, the last of the rain turned to snow, giving us a gorgeous gift Saturday morning gift. (And remember, this is Los Angeles!)


This week's forecast calls for some more rain, but we're optimistic that we're going to "weather it out" in our homes. Meanwhile, Ivy's strutting around, dry and full, and about as happy as I've ever seen her.

Tina

Tina Ferraro
Top Ten Uses for an Unworn Prom Dress
How to Hook a Hottie
The ABC's of Kissing Boys
www.tinaferraro.com

9 comments:

Wendy Toliver said...

Hip hip hooray for Ivy! Oh, and for you humans, too. :)

Dona Sarkar-Mishra said...

aWhat a fantastic, smart move Tina...so glad you, your family, AND Ivy are safe and happy!

Me said...

Yay, Tina! What a terrific idea for Ivy. Glad you're all safe again.

Cara King said...

I'm so glad Ivy is okay! And you and your family, of course.

Diana Duncan said...

Along with all the other similarities we share, I also have a cat named Ivy. (However, she weighs 21 lbs. lol!)

stephhale said...

You are the sweetest person alive, Tina! I'm so glad that everything worked out okay. And such a relief to hear that Ivy is okay.

Marley Gibson said...

Awww...happy for Ivy...and for you and all of your family. You've been in my thoughts! Hugs!

TinaFerraro said...

Thanks, everyone...happy to be home and dry!

And Di, too funny that we both have a cat named Ivy!

Heather Davis said...

I'm so glad Ivy (and all of you!) are okay.