Thursday, January 14, 2010

Powell's Bookstore!

I first want to say this morning that I'm incredibly saddened by the tragedy in Haiti. Please keep the people who are dealing with so much devestation in your prayers and if you are able, donate to one of the many charities in motion to help with relief... When things like this happen, it's important to do what you can for those who are hurting and remember to hug the ones you love.



In much lighter news, my post today is about one of the world's great bookstores --


Last weekend, I was lucky enough to spend time in Portland, Oregon, home of one of the country’s great book destinations – Powell’s Books. It’s a humongous store, chock full of so many volumes, there is a giant board to direct you to the right room of the store. People plan their trips to Portland around this amazing store – so it’s a good thing there are some great hotels nearby. www.powells.com

I loved walking around the store. There’s such amazing energy at Powell’s – you’re surrounded by people who love books as much as you do probably, and the walls are covered with shelves – rows and rows of stories you’ve yet to discover.

In the teen section, I found Buzz Girl books – and mine, though it was on a high shelf, was faced out! The bookseller, Florence, was very sweet and let me sign the copies for the store. Me, signing books at Powell’s?
It’s still unreal and I can’t believe that this dream of mine to become a writer has come true. I truly have a “pinch me” moment when I see Shelby staring out from the cover of Never Cry Werewolf. And seeing her there at Powell’s reminded me how grateful I am for young adult readers and my writing friends that have help bring my dream to life!

I know I’ve talked about Indie Bookstores before, but I’m curious if there are any other big bookstores like Powell’s around the country? Do you have a destination bookstore in your hometown? I think I may need to plan some more book field trips…

Hugs!


Heather

http://www.heatherdavisbooks.com/
The Clearing – April 2010 HMH
Never Cry Werewolf – Sept. 2009 HarperTeen

6 comments:

Wendy Toliver said...

Powell's sounds awesome! I love hearing about interesting indie bookstores. 3 of my favorites are Tattered Cover in CO, Wisebird Bookery and The Purple Cow in UT. I also happened upon a darling little one on Main Street in Sun Valley, Idaho with lots of really old books. Thanks for sharing, Heather!

TinaFerraro said...

Wonderful! I came upon one on Main Street in Park City that had a terrific YA section. (Attention Wendy on that one.) And I've spent hours wandering in Tattered Cover, as well as the two indies in my neighborhood.

Jennifer Rummel said...

I really adore RJ Julia's in Madison CT - which is where I go to hear at lot of great authors speak. But I also adore the Northshire Bookstore in Manchester, VT a place I used to frequent in my childhood. I can spend hours in bookstores, they're very addicting.

Me said...

We all know how much I love Blue Willow Bookshop in Houston. They're not big in size, but they're huge in heart!

Unknown said...

Sounds like a fantastic place I could get lost in! There is nothing like that around where I live.

MD said...

I love how Powells gives you a map to search the store! You can also sell books back to Powells. The Goodwill in Portland also has a great selection of books.