Sunday, January 17, 2010

It's been a great weekend to live in Northern Utah. The Dew Tour is here at Snowbasin Mountain Resort (where the 2002 Winter Olympics took place). So we gathered our family and friends and headed there, excited to see some of the best skiers and boarders in the world do their stuff. (That's me in the reddish coat, standing in front of the half-pipe they built especially for the event.)

We found a little nook behind a radio station's tent, laid out some pads, and enjoyed a little winter picnic while watching all the action. Here I am with my good friend Yira, who's from Spain. She was excited because one of the snowboarders, Queralt Castellet, is from Spain. At one point, Yira asked me if I could do that, meaning the snowboard superpipe. I was flattered that she'd even ask, but um, no. No. No. (I wish, though!) Apparently, 14,000 fans came out to root for the women's snowboard superpipe.


In addition to the action on the hill, the city of Ogden threw parties for all the locals and Dew Tour enthusiasts, including a FREE concert to see Dashboard Confessional! (For those of you who've read The Secret Life of a Teenage Siren, you might remember that when Roxy is at the modeling agency, Dashboard Confessional is the music being played.) Local musician Codi Jordan did a great job opening for them, but then it started getting really cold and one of my boys felt sick so we had to leave before they even started. Sigh.

So anyway, that's the Buzz around here! And I'd like to take a moment to say that while I feel very blessed to live where I do, my heart goes out to those in Haiti. Also, our very own Buzz Girl Tina might have to leave her home because of a storm predicted to hit S. California. I wish them all the very best.

5 comments:

TinaFerraro said...

Aw, thank you, Wendy, for the good wishes on our California storm. Meanwhile, I am going to live vicariously through your wonderful Utah experiences! You know I have family there and always enjoy visiting!

And love those pictures of you!

Anna R said...

I am so sorry U didn't get to hear Dashboard Confessional- I put one of their songs on my Facebook profile in ur honor. OK, so they were playing when Roxie was at the modeling agency? - I forgot.
U look cute in ur red coat and YES U could do the half pipe- U snowboading champ! Now getting thru it in one piece and alive would be another question.

Wendy Toliver said...

You betcha, Tina! And I can't wait till you come visit your fam in Utah again b/c hopefully we can do lunch again.

Anna, you're right; I could get thru it alive just not doing all those cool tricks. Thanks for stopping by!

stephhale said...

The slopes look amazing, Wendy! I tried to ski once. Um, yeah, let's just say it didn't go too well!!!

Heather Davis said...

Wow, what a fun day, Wendy. I'm no snowboarder, but I'd be there with you drinking cocoa! ;)

Heath