Thursday, January 21, 2010

So long, Coco...

Unless you reside in a cave somewhere (so I guess you wouldn't be reading this anyway), you've heard all about the big Jay Leno-Conan O'Brien debacle on NBC. In case you haven't heard, it's finally over, and Conan will be hosting The Tonite Show for the last time tonight. I can't lie and claim to be a huge Conan fan. It wasn't that I didn't like him, I just didn't think he was THAT funny. Not that Jay Leno is that funny either, but for some reason I preferred him. I still watched The Tonight Show but most nights I would watch Jay's show first.
Even though I didn't think Conan was the funniest guy in the world, I had so much respect for him when he refused to move The Tonight Show to a later time slot (hopefully his agent will get his next show's time slot in writing to avoid all this mess). And while you can't really feel too bad for a guy who gets like a bazillion dollars just to quit working for a few months, I really hope he lands on his feet. And I can't help but wonder if NBC made a huge mistake. Will people even tune in for The Tonight Show when Jay returns as the host in a few weeks or will they feel like NBC betrayed them and turn to Letterman?



Who were you rooting for as the host of The Tonight Show?

xo,

Stephanie

9 comments:

Brooke Reviews said...

I can't stand Leno. Conan used to be my favorite from all the late shows, but not sure what happened once he got on TTS.

I'm not sure switching things up so much is a good idea for the network, but not that I care. Maybe they should try something new all together and get a woman on there.

Tera Lynn Childs said...

I'm not really a late night talk show watcher. I used to watch Letterman. And really liked Jon Stewart (before the Daily Show) and Carson Daly. Now, if I had to choose, it would be Conan. I'm sure he'll come out on top in the end ... maybe on Comedy Central!

sarah said...

I haven't really watched the Tonight Show since... well... May 22, 1992 - I saw the first one with Leno as host (not guest host). Eh. I have caught both Leno and Conan over the years... meh... It feels like the last fight all over again when Letterman left for CBS.

I like Craig Ferguson - it must be the accent - and Jon Stewart. (I usually just watch the Daily Show - usually as a marathon.)

Wendy Toliver said...

I'm kind of like you, Steph. I don't know why I like Leno, but Conan's delivery and his jokes themselves bug me. I will definitely watch it the Tonight Show more with Leno.

Cara King said...

I don't often watch late night shows, but I was definitely rooting for Conan. NBC gave him a contract five years ago and he held himself off the market based on it, and then they just changed their minds? Lame.

And though NBC blamed it on Conan's Tonight Show not having the ratings, I think it was their fault. I saw a ton of ads for Leno at 10, but very very few for Conan...so they don't advertise him, they don't give him time to grow, and then they complain that his ratings were bad? (Wait, are you sure NBC hasn't become Fox?)

Cara (who may like Conan because he used to show baskets of kittens...I'm easy like that...)

Heather Davis said...

I liked Conan. Leno is a bit blah for me. ;)

Monica said...

I don't watch TV during the week (I gave it up so I wouldn't have any excuse not to write) but I choose Conan over Leno any day. No contest!

BookChic said...

I was all for Conan. I really hope he gets another show somewhere because I can't stand not seeing him on TV now. I think he's hilarious and he had so much fun on The Tonight Show for the short time period he was on (which showed in the montage they did last night).

I'm honestly wondering if ANYONE is gonna watch Leno after what he did to Conan. I never really had an opinion on him either way but now I just hate him. I mean, really, he gave up The Tonight Show and decided to move to 10pm and do his own show. That was his choice and he and NBC should have stuck with it, OR they should have just canceled it and left him without a job. He was the one who made that choice and he should deal with the consequences of it, not Conan. Or if NBC is so desperate to keep Jay, put him on after Carson Daly. Don't push everyone else back just to accomodate him; he needs to go to the back of the line.

This was just such a stupid decision and I hope NBC pays for it when they only get like 10 people watching Jay on TTS or when they have trouble securing guests to come on. So many celebrities sided with Conan on this; would they even go on TTS now that Jay Leno is on? I just can't wait for Jay to flop.

Unknown said...

I agree with Sarah, Fergie all the way. Love those puppets!
angie