Thursday, January 28, 2010

Books... to club or not to club?


It's becoming even easier to be in a book club. They seem to be cropping up all over the country in neighborhoods, libraries, and of course, bookstores. Today I heard about a new site that not only sells books in e-formats, but allows you to form a book club with other readers of the book across the country. A virtual book club. How cool is that?

It's called Bookglutton.com.

I think that would be cool to be in a book club - even if it was virtual and you met online instead of in someone's cozy house with cookies or other yummies. Or maybe not - is part of the charm of a book club that you meet, eat, discuss, argue, and enjoy books in person? What does the face-to-face interaction add to a book club.

I've never been in a book club; in fact -- the closest experience I've had to a book club is enjoying reading about one in Honey, Baby, Sweetheart by Deb Caletti, where the heroine visits her mother's book group, The "Casserole Queens." The readers form a bond, go on an adventure, change a life - all in a subplot of the book.

What do you guys think? Have you been in a book club? Would you join one online?
hugs,

The Clearing - HMH April 2010
Never Cry Werewolf - Harperteen Sept 2009

5 comments:

Wendy Toliver said...

I get invited to book clubs fairly regularly and wish I had time to join. I'd definitely be more into one where we get together at someone's home and have yummy food.

Dona Sarkar-Mishra said...

The Women of Microsoft Bookclub actually had my book be the January 08 pick of the month and invited me to come speak...it was awesome!

stephhale said...

I love getting together with my book club. We don't get to do it as often as we used to though.

Amanda Villagómez said...

I do book clubs with my students at school, and this year I just started doing on-line book clubs with them. It has been a lot of fun.

I would love to be in a book club with other adults though. I have never had a chance for a face to face book club group with adults.

Me said...

I've never been in a book club, but I've thought about it. I definitely need to read more than I do! But I just don't know if I want to read what someone else tells me to. Takes me back to bad school memories.