Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Buzz on our New Bee

In celebrations of Wendy Week, I wanted to give a little writer's history on our new bee!

IMG_1954

I first met Wendy at the Romance Writers of America (RWA) National Conference in Dallas, Texas...in...geesh...was it 2004? It's been so long, I don't even have pictures from the event! But, nonetheless, I was president of the newly formed Chick Lit Writers Chapter and I was thrilled to meet someone as positive, bubbly, and determined as Wendy Toliver.

IMG_1946

When I first started writing, there were wonderful people in my RWA chapter who mentored me and really took me under their wing. I asked how I could pay them back and they told me to "pay it forward." I have certainly tried to do that with Wendy, acting as a sort of mentor. I read some of Wendy's first writing and immediately loved her voice and the way she created her stories. I especially loved a story of hers called BLUE CORNMEAL PANCAKES which came this ---> <--- close to selling! Being the good mentor, I hooked her up with her first agent (sorry about that, Wendy...LOL! ) and then did a make good when I hooked her up with her current (and much better!) agent. I had met Christina Hogrebe from the Rotrosen Agency at a conference and we kept in touch. I had sent a few people her way, but when I knew Wendy needed new representation, I just felt that she and Wendy would have that right connection. Sure enough, my instincts were right! And Christina did what I knew she'd do...she sold Wendy!

The day that Wendy sold, I felt like I had sold all over again! I was (and still am) proud of her and her accomplishment! So, imagine how happy I am to have my critique partner, Wendy, as a new bee. Welcome sweetie and big hugs!

PICT0147

Winner of Gena Showalter's INTERTWINED is Stacy Stew!
Congratulations! Send your mailing info to marley_gibson AT yahoo (dot) com.


And don't forget to comment on today's post (and every post this week) for a chance to with a $10 gift card from Borders.

Hugs,
Marley = )

12 comments:

Jessy said...

That's so very nice that you helped Wendy to achieve her goal. "Everyone gets by with a little help from their friends!"

TinaFerraro said...

You and Wendy make a powerful and wonderful team, and how happy we Buzz Girls are to have you BOTH with us!

Ellz said...

She seems like a great addition to the group!

Wendy Toliver said...

Aw, thanks Marley! For everything! :)

jpetroroy said...

I love how the group keeps expanding!

Llehn said...

Aw ... what an awesome story. May your friendship grow from strength to strength. Um, I'm in need of an agent. How do I get in touch with you Marley? :P

susitravl said...

Thanks for starting my day out with a smile.

throuthehaze said...

Great story and great addition to the group!

Amanda Villagómez said...

It sounds like RWA has been a great organization for many of the bees!

petra said...

your cute

Wendy Toliver said...

Thanks for leaving all the great comments, you guys! You're all entered to win a $10 Borders gift card. Comment every day and get more entries! Thanks again!

Unknown said...

I hope to find a friend who also writes that can be as much of a support as you guys are for each other. Those kind of friendships are the best.