Saturday, October 07, 2006

The eyes have it...

We’ve been talking a lot this week about eyes and how they attract us to another person. I’m all about the eyes myself, so I can identify with the mob rule around here at Books, Boys and Buzz.

So, this one time at band camp...

No, seriously...I was at summer music camp which consisted of concert band, chorus, a cappella choir and show choir. I was in all of the choirs, but was the youngest one there. You had to be in ninth grade or above to go to this camp, but my mother “fibbed” on my application so I could go a year early. (This from the woman who stressed not to lie...ever.)

Anyway, I was the youngest in age in the choirs, but I still got placed for solos and features ‘cause my voice rocked back then. (Vocal chords severely damaged freshman year in college by tonsillitis.) There were a lot of kids there from Dora High School in Dora, Alabama and I befriended a lot of them. And, I immediately crushed on the youngest guy of their bunch, Lee. (I can’t for the life of me remember his last name.) But he had The. Most. Gorgeous. Blue. Eyes. We’re talking candle melting. Butter melting. Knee melting. He was just sooooo adorable and those eyes. Man, let me tell you what...

Well, turned out, Lee and I got matched up together as a “couple” in show choir (for those of you who don’t know what show choir is...you sing songs and “act” them out as you’re singing – a lot of dancing and movement and stuff) because we were the youngest and the same height. I was quiet seriously wigged out by this (in a good way.) I got to spend all of this extra time with Lee, literally singing to each other. It was...magical. And we did this old song called “Them There Eyes.” We had to turn and face each other with our hands around our eyes like fake binoculars and then had to flash our fingers on the words “Them! There! Eyes!”

I felt like the biggest goober in the world doing this with him watching me. Staring into my eyes with those killer blues. Singing to me. Only me. Wow. What a memory. I can actually still see his eyes – all these years later – quite vividly.

And so the pattern began for me...all about eyes. After all, the eyes are the windows to our souls. So full of depth, color and emotion. I always tend to write at length about my hero’s eyes – so much that I’ve had critique partners say, “I get it...his eyes are green...move on.” LOL!!

So, what is it about the eyes? Why are we so drawn to them? Why do the eyes have it?

Marley
http://www.marleygibson.com/

4 comments:

TinaFerraro said...

Oh, yeah, a deep look, or sometimes just a fleeting one, speaks more words than I could or would want to write. For this reason, I love writing heroes wearing sunglasses, for the power of the moment the glasses are removed...

GeminiWisdom said...

I don't know who's eyes are posted in the blog..but they're HOT! I love eyes like that. I think it's the shape, the color and if they're surrounded by long dark lashes that are normally found on a camel.

Marley Gibson said...

Gemini...it's a "joke" I got about a year ago with all these amazingly sexy guys and this ones eyes just STUCK out! Thought that would be a memorable one to use.

Tina...I love the sunglasses moment. Excellent!!!

Thanks for the comments -- I feel so lonely sometimes on the weekends, not knowing if people are reading.

Marley = )

Anonymous said...

My friend has the most incredible yellow-brown eyes with specs in them. They seriously look like a tiger's eyes. (Hey, isn't that a book by Judy Blume?) We have such a deep, meaningful friendship and I wonder if it has to do with the fact that I can't rip my own eyes off of hers?

And I agree with Gemini about lashes. Mmmmmm.

Wendy Toliver, whose eyes are bloodshot from new mommy syndrome