Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Hump Day Hottie #5

Okay, I have a confession to make... I have an embarassing weakness for guys with dark, curly hair. The kind you can imagine (or actually) run your fingers through, giving it that messed-up-but-oh-so-sexy look. Mmmm mmmm good.

Today, in honor of my Achilles heel, I'm doing an Ode To Dark Curly Hair, highlighting some of my faves--and maybe finding out where this crazy weakness comes from.

I blame Joshua Byers. No, he's not anyone you would know--he was my first grade crush. Yes, I had a crush in first grade (see, the boy-craziness started early). We used to play kissing tag on the playground and my BFF and I wrote I Josh on little squares of construction paper during math class. (In a side note, a few years ago I reconnected with him... and found out that he didn't remmeber me at all! Typical.) Anyway, he had that kind of dark curly hair, and I think that's when the obsession began.

Next came Joey Lawrence--my elementary school, TV show boyfriend. I used to watch him and his adorable smile and cute Philly accent on Gimme A Break every week. Then he was in Adventures in Babysitting--awesome movie, if you ever get the chance--and co-starred on Blossom as her dopey brother. Actually, he always seems to play pretty dopey guys. Maybe that's part of the appeal =)

Then came a dark time in the history of my dark, curly hair obsession. A period known as the New Kids on the Block Vortex. Yes, my name is Tera and I was a NKOTB-aholic. I even went to their concert at the Minnesota state fair. And it was all because of Jordan Knight and his magnetic dark, curly hair. (In retrospect, I think it might have been the pull of the hairspray--there was a lot of it involved).

In high school (okay, early high school) my obsession landed on Saved By the Bell. Mario Lopez, aka Slater, was the perfect package. He was a little bit of a tough guy--a wrestler who was ready to throw down... literally. He had the most amazing dimples a girl could ever ask to drool over. (I mean, just look at those! Those dimples could sell Pixie Sticks to a diabetic!) And he has that luscious dark, curly hair.

Well, I could go on forever about these guys with gorgeous locks, but I'll have to save some of theme for another day. I end here with two things: My Hottie Question of the Week and one last look at a few of my current favorites (Casey Affleck--Ben's little brother, Adrian Grenier--from Entourage, and Gavin Rossdale--Mr. Gwen Stefani). The question is... can you trace any of your little obsessions (or your big ones) back to early schoolgirl crushes? Clearly, I can.

12 comments:

stephhale said...

I was SO in love with Joey Lawrence. I had to break it off when he started doing the Mr. Clean thing though. :( I love Adrian Grenier too. I've never been a big Mario Lopez fan, but did anybody see him on Nip/Tuck a few weeks ago? HELLO! Yum, yum, gimme some. JK! kind of....
I think the one carryover I have from crushes is probably a holdover from the grunge days. I still go crazy for the shoulder-length little bit greasy hair which you'll see Friday in my crush of the week! hehe, a little teaser there.
and sell pixie stix to a diabetic? Man, you make me laugh! :)

TinaFerraro said...

Oh, yeah, dark curly haired guys. :) I did a face-plant for Jesse Bradford in BRING IT ON, and it's no coincidence that my hero in PROM DRESS looks amazingly like him...

Tina

www.tinaferraro.com

GeminiWisdom said...

Hey, I had a love jones for Jordan Knight, too! I even bought his solo CD, which was really good. And yes, I can trace my crush back to schoolgirl days. My preference for white guys started in the 5th grade with Chris Tiller...and ended with my husband, Steven.

I SO look forward to Wednesdays over here!

Marley Gibson said...

Oooo...I'm going to have to think about this one, Tera. Maybe post about it on Saturday. Love your progression, though. My 20 year old niece still cringes remembering "way back when I was 15" and had her N'Sync crush. LOL!!

Anonymous said...

casey affleck doesn't do it for me. he looks drunk most of the time. or asleep.

MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

OK, too funny that TWO of your crushes are now on Dancing with the Stars!

I like the middle last guy--he was in Devil Wears Prad, right?

Ooh, I could go for some curly dark hair right about now filtering through my fingers!

MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

Ooh, and Steph Hale speaking of grunge reminds me of Eddie Vedder of Pearl Jam!

I would even let him sing to me while I'm stroking his, um, hair.

"Stephanie Stroked My Hair Today"... to the tune of Jeremy...
And no disrespect to Steph Hale, but that songs ABOUT ME, cuz I just made it up! This stephanie!!!

Dona Sarkar-Mishra said...

Manic Mom:

I heart Adrian Grier too! I adored him in THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA, sooo cute! He's hot enough to make me start watching ENTOURAGE on HBO

:)

Dona Sarkar-Mishra
-------------------------------------
Chapters & Chai - Read all about it
dona@donasarkarmishra.com
http://www.donasarkarmishra.com
http://donasarkar.blogspot.com/
http://booksboysbuzz.com

Simone Elkeles said...

I was never into Mario Lopez on Saved by the Bell unless he had his shirt off and showed his amazing muscles. But now, on Dancing with the Stars (I am SO a reality tv junkie) he looks amazing with or without clothes.

I'm ashamed to say I had pics of Ralph Macchio on my walls from The Outsiders.

~Simone Elkeles
How to Ruin a Summer Vacation available NOW!
Leaving Paradise 4/07
How to Ruin my Teenage Life 6/07

Me said...

OMG! How could I have forgotten Ralph Macchio??? He was definitely on my list in between Joey Lawrence and Jordan Knight! =)

Anonymous said...

Tera, have you seen Joey Lawrence with the bald head? No more running your fingers through his hair. But he's still a cutie. And Mario...lord, you can swim in those dimples. Both of them are tearing it up on Dancing with the Stars.

Anonymous said...

Considering I just graduated from High School only 14 years ago,I don't know why I'm drawing a blank but I can vaguely remember in elementary school/Jr. High having a crush on Kirk Cameron, I always liked Donnie from NKOTB, and Ricky from New Edition. In High School I developed this thing for one of two types of guys. The tall dark and handsome athlete (think Michael Jordan) and I married that type or the older guy who was a world class hottie back in the day and they just keep getting better with age, think Paul Newman, Robert Redford, Sam Shephard, Tom Skeritt, or Sam Elliot.