Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Wings and Whitney

How lucky am I to get the Halloween day post? It's only the best teen holiday of the year. At least it was back in the day. Halloween dances. those embarassing moments when you're dressed as a witch to scare trick-o-treaters and your high school friends randomly stop by. Yeah. Loved that. :)

I don't know if I'll actually dress up tonight, because I was decked out on Saturday. And my sister and I were determined not to do any of the "sexy" costumes that every other girl downtown had on. You know, sexy witch, sexy nurse, sexy schoolgirl. Use some imagination, people. It'd be much cooler to be rockin' a stegosaurus getup and look hot.

Anyway, with a little help from my sis, my fairy princess costume came together in fine style. I had the flashy strapless dress, the tiara, the wand, and the wings. Yeah, the wings -- not so great at a house party in case you're keeping track. I only bonked two million people on my way to the refreshments.

My sister dressed as Whitney Houston, complete with a grammy around her neck and songs belted out at top volume. She was a huge hit and somehow, while a bit washed-up still managed to look hot. See point above.

Another highlight of the party was a raunchy ghost, who was doing a grinding dance against my friend Alice in Wonderland. Um, ick, random ghost? Who are you? She insisted she could tell he was cute, but I was like, "Dude was wearing a sheet. There's got to be something to that..."

Anyway, I guess my point on this Halloween is that dressing up is fun. It still is. I mean, when else does a random ghost stand a chance with Alice in Wonderland? And when else do you get to go to breakfast the next day with sparkles still decorating your face? Halloween rocks.

And no... to protect the innocent, there are no pictures to post...


Heather Davis is the author of Never Cry Werewolf, HarperCollins 2008

9 comments:

TinaFerraro said...

You wrote: She insisted she could tell he was cute, but I was like, "Dude was wearing a sheet. There's got to be something to that..."

LOL, Heather!

I haven't dressed up in years, but this is the day I pull out my bright orange T-shirt with the black widow spiders painted on it, and it always makes me happy. Well, the shirt and all the candy I start munching on early.

Tina (who is typing with one hand, while the other holds the M&Ms)

Marley Gibson said...

LOL Heather!!

My best costume ever was freshman year in college when I dressed up as a "Midnight Blue" Crayola. It was two tons of fun and I won a costume contest.

Today...I'm going as a tired woman in jeans and a t-shirt going over to a friend's house for comfort food, scary movies and lots of vino, pal!

Marley = )
http://www.marleygibson.com

Dona Sarkar-Mishra said...

Today I'm "The devil wears Prada", meaning I have a nice red dress, horns, and my Prada purse :)

Loved the Halloween party story Heather!

TinaFerraro said...

Dona, your costume sounds SO clever. I'm going to tell my daughter that for next year. (Although that means she'll have to come up with a Prada bag, huh?)

Tina

TinaFerraro said...

Dona, your costume sounds SO clever. I'm going to tell my daughter that for next year. (Although that means she'll have to come up with a Prada bag, huh?)

Tina

TinaFerraro said...

Oops--all the Halloween candy is making me see double.

Tina

Me said...

My best costume ever? Senior year of college I went to the Boulder Museum of Contemporary Art's Erotica Ball (yes, Erotica Ball).

I dressed as Aphrodite--this may have been an early sign of my future with Greek mythology. I wore a beautiful cream colored gown with a gold rope tied around my waist. Gold eyelashes. Gold glitter everywhere--eyes, fingernails, hair. And had my hair done up in a super-intricate curly updo.

I truly felt like a goddess.

That being said, I am so jealous of Dona's costume. (And her Prada purse.)

Simone Elkeles said...

I spent Halloween at the emergency room. It's a long story, but everyone is fine now. Nothing a little Benadryl couldn't fix.

~Simone

Anonymous said...

just for its own sake, I have a copy of Alice in Wonderland 1903 in my blog.

Alice in Wonderland

scottlord- Swedish Film